Hagerty.com

Barn find of a lifetime uncovers a fortune in vintage cars

What a truly magnificent display of motoring history, yet what a very sad & truly disgusting end for so many of those motoring marvels. But what a very sad World we live in where we see these beautiful vehicles & others like them wasting away covered in years of dust, grime & worse, hidden from the eyes of motoring enthusiasts who would give their eye tooth for an opportunity to attempt to rebuild one of these classics, & maybe even restore one to their original condition, or to what’s as near to original as can be, to enjoy the pleasure of driving these as they were built to be & not left to rot away because the owner or owners are too self centred or too miserable or both ( correct me if I’m wrong ! ) to give these a chance of been appreciated by someone who’s less fortunate than them but yet capable & able to get one if these restored & driven. It’s a known fact you can only drive one car at a time. !!! So as to continuing to watch Barn Finder I’m becoming a little bit tired of seeing these shows where so many restorable old classic cars just rot away, maybe not …!!! One can hope.
Regards

I’m a collector with only 5 vehicles. I make sure they’re all used, cared for, maintained but most importantly shared with the younger generation. To have a barn find of this magnitude is abusive and borderline criminal. What a waste to the history of the automobile to have that many Daytonas deteriorating! It would make more sense for them to be shared with future generations specially since manufacturers are having a hard time selling vehicles. Let’s see the only car that Ford will be making is the Mustang!

I loved watching this I’ve been to a crane yard in Virginia where I spend hours learning about the pieces stored there. To all the people saying it a shame I say what what was not yours to begin with is not yours now eventually it will all be changing hands again.

YES, thanks again Tom for the tour of the Eubanks cars. It is such a shame that they are in such poor condition! Dirt floors, some open shed roofs, certainly rodent infestation. Mold–damp conditions. WOW! Horrible to see this happen BUT THEY ARE HIS CARS! – Until somehow they are liberated, they will continue to return to the earth! Tom, YOU have been to my place and I have too many cars! But ALL of them can be purchased and many have left since you were here. A lot of them leave BECAUSE I know they will be restored! True, I still buy more, but only if I know I am saving them from a horrible end! AND I let them go sometimes at a loss, sometimes I cover costs. Once in a while I make enough to do more work on my “keepers” cars.
There are far too many cars in the Eubanks collection for him and ALL his help to live long enough to restore them! Hope that collectors like this come to realize the must let go to do what is right! I have!

Great coverage of Billys cars ,I personally know Billy and have great respect for him and his cars.They are all incredible and so is Billy. I know alot of the people that have watched the video and read the story and feel that he should share these vehicles . Well he does When he worked at the College he hosted an annual day to invite all the students to spend the day, his wife Carol Ann would have food and drinks for the students, Billy allowed the students to go through all the buildings and enjoy the collection he has . Billy has been collecting these cars for many years. He does not offer any for sale but on occasions he has given students parts to work on their vehicles. I can say since his retirement he has been refreshing the cars and has many of them running and continues to be a good caretaker for these vehicles . Billy does enjoy his privacy and his cars . Please respect him for that If you had a collection like this imagine the complications you would have.

my question is how and why would this owner of these vehicles let Tom into see them if they really didn’t want anyone to know about all these cars and did not want to sell any of them. What’s the point?

Not sure Billy is abusive, criminal, selfish, irresponsible, miserable, or a sad case.
Sounds like some of us have proven Freud’s theory of “car envy.”
Great article Tom and Hagerty.

Incredible collection! I have to admit to feelings of sadness or something like that, seeing these beauties weathering in place - but what’s the practical answer for an avid collector without Jay Leno - like resources? Some kind of giant plastic bags? I’ve never seen a solution that would provide on-demand viewing, easy access and low cost. They’re his and he can do what he likes with them - but maybe if such a solution were at hand, more great cars would stay that way.

Still in shock! I just kept going wow, ahhh, oohhh! Still thinkin about , still doin it!

Of course I dream of having the money and space to build a collection of all the cars I love but my dream in no way resembles this. My plan is to never have more cars than I can store, care for, and enjoy.

What a terrible waste of fine cars just waiting to escape their dismal existence.

I agree - stories like this are frustrating. If you can’t take care of whatever the hell it is you’re collecting, sell it already. This isn’t just cars, but all kinds of collections with dust and crap all over them. The owner invariably thinks his stuff is worth way more than it is but never makes the connection that he should sell before the property actually LOSES value from neglect.

People like that have some kind of a hoarding disorder I’ll never understand. They need professional help.

The point? Ego investment. The collection is all the hoarder has going for himself. Without that, he has little else except for a dilapidated garage and a house full of who knows what.

I agree - stories like this are frustrating. If you can’t take care of whatever the hell it is you’re collecting, sell it already. This isn’t just cars, but all kinds of collections with dust and crap all over them. The owner invariably thinks his stuff is worth way more than it is but never makes the connection that he should sell before the property actually LOSES value from neglect.

People like that have some kind of a hoarding disorder I’ll never understand. They need professional help.

But, I’ll bet he knows that the word is concours. The one with the ‘e’ onthe end is a HNT (ho nubber ting).

Why you gotta be all judgey? They have their own place, out in the woods, ain’t hurtin’ no one. You could see from the interior of their home that the place is a mess but, so what?

It’s kinda like someone having a prize greyhound tied up in the back yard, not letting it run around and then inviting a reporter over so just he can brag to him about the prized greyhound, hope for some press coverage to boost his ego, but never let actually the greyhound run.

It’s just weird, selfish behavior. OK, so cars aren’t pets, but still - just sad. And you know I’m probably right about that guy - his elevator doesn’t go to the top floor.

Dude, get over your spelling fixation. AMC cars were crap by the mid-70s and you’re obviously sensitive to reality. Their ship has sailed, just let it go.

WTF asked about AMC cars? Put down whatever you are smoking…

My bad - a different spelling referee made a very similar correction in another post.