Hagerty.com

British Car Shops

What is your favorite British Car repair shop? I have two that I would go back to any time. One is Proper Noise in Reading, PA. It was Carriage Craft until Bill Shields sold it to Ed Sweeney a couple of months ago. I’ve known Ed for a long time and he is really good, so there is no need to worry.

Another shop I really like is Eclectic Motor Works in Holland, MI. Carl Heideman is a font of knowledge on MGAs and MGBs, which are the bulk of his business. But he is also strong on Jaguar, Triumph, Austin-Healey and many non-British shops.

Tell us about the shops you’d go back to in a minute.–Jonathan

I have a 1972 Volvo 1800E. When the job gets to big such as rebuilding the BW35 transmission I go to Willy’s in Monaca, Pa. He focuses on European vehicles and has a passion for Mercedes amg’s but works on all models. He is especially knowledgeable on 1st generation fuel injection systems.

Well, I like BMC British Automobile out of Isanti, Minnesota but then I started it in 2000 so I might have just a Slight Bias to this. :slight_smile: Ed Sweeney of Proper Noise is a Fantastic fellow and so are Carl and Alan at Eclectic Motorworks and as a friend and competitor, I would recommend either of them. There are a number of British cars shops such as ours that solely work on the classics, some strictly British and others a little further out. You can find out more about any of the British Automotive specialty shops by going to http://www.britcar.org and searching member shops.

The shops you named are at the top of my list. I have used Carl’s Eclectic Motorworks and Ed Sweeney’s Proper Noise and know they are both fantastic shops run by great people.

Jonathan

If in Southern California, Heritage Garage works primarily on classic Minis., but does great work on all kinds of British cars. They build really good racing engines, some notable works were on ones for the Carrera Panamericana and the fastest Mini at Bonneville.