Hagerty.com

Budget Finds in Scottsdale

With auction week fast approaching I’ve been poring through the lots for interesting and unusual offerings. There’s been a lot written about the high-end cars that will sell next week but I’m looking for things more in price range of mere mortals, like $25K or (much) less. Here’s the best I could find:

1987 Buick Regal T-Type turbo:

It’s not the super-hot Grand National but I imagine the turbo V6 gives it a lot more scoot than the base Regal. It still looks dead serious in white as opposed to the typical black sporty Regals came in. However, the interior may be a bit too fluffy to support serious driving.

1980 Toyota Celica Sunchaser

Any decently preserved Japanese car from the '80s or before is uncommon and the fact this is an ultra-rare body style is just icing on the cake. This gets you fun colors and the basket-handle roof should keep chassis flex to a minimum. However, I doubt this offers much in the way of performance and Japanese car purists will scoff at the fact that the convertible conversion was done by an American company.

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

This was an odd combination of luxury and muscle that could have only happened in the 80s. It’s got the 5.0 V8 with 5-speed and what look like grippy cloth bucket seats, and the most muted styling of any 3rd gen Camaro.

1979 Lincoln Town Coupe
https://www.silverauctionsaz.com/article/1724/1979-Lincoln-Town-Coupe
The last two-door land yacht America produced. This has gold-plated everything but still comes across as tasteful and, more importantly, original.

Anyone else been surfing the auctions for bargains? What are you finding?

I believe the Buick sold for ~$39k…

Actually, it sold for nearly $43K. According to valuation tools the average selling price for these is closer to $18,000. Also there was apparently a Monte Carlo SS that went for $33,000. This is quite an impressive showing for a mass-production 80s American car.

The Berlinetta went for $8,250.00 and the Sunchaser sold for $12,100