Hagerty.com

Buying back a lost, beloved classic can be both exhilarating and painful

Most people regard cars as appliances that come and go, like washing machines and coffee makers. At most, perhaps there’s a moment—like in those Subaru ads—when the owner fondly recalls bringing a newborn home in the car or mists up at a memory of a teen-aged child driving it to the prom. But that’s it.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/06/11/buying-back-a-lost-bmw-2002

YEEKS ! You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em…

Looking forward to reading the next chapter.

I bought a new Corvette convertible in 1973 and sold it about three years later to buy a house (down payment) and 44 years later, I was reading the NCRS magazine for members and saw the ad for the same car in the classifieds. Great story…got 4 Top Flight awards while it was being cared for by a few great owners, 2 tops, 4 spd, A/C, P/S, P/B, Leather seats, tilt/tele…the last owner thought it was owned by a GM executive because it had almost all the options. I read the magazine and about the 5th reading of the classifieds just made me pause and call the phone number. I bought it, minty as ever and drove it home, Birmingham, Alabama to Nashville, Tn. Rollin’ in my sweet baby’s arms again! You can’t make that one up!

When I bought my first house in 1992, I sold my loved Camaro Z28 to the relator for her 16yr old sons first car so I could make closing cost.
A year later I ran into her at the grocery store and asked about “my Z28”.
She replied “oh he crashed it on the fwy on-ramp and totaled it”
My heart sank and I felt so guilty for selling it.
But financially it was the smartest thing I ever did.