Hagerty.com

Canada’s youth are still interested in manual driving

The bunny-hop, the judder and lug, and, of course, the stall. Never mind whatever the latest Instagram dance craze is these days, the youth of today are apparently still eager to learn all the extra footsteps it takes to master the three-pedal waltz. And what better way than to clamber into a museum-piece ’57 Chevrolet Bel Air, drop the lever on a three-on-the-tree, and just glide away?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/08/08/canadas-youth-are-still-interested-in-manual-driving

That Chev station wagon in the pictures is not a 1957, from memory it appears to be either a 1953 or a 1954.

Interesting article, reminds me I have gotten older. Summer of 1966 (in the States) I was 15 years old. High School offered summer driver ed. courses that all my high school friends would take, took about 3 weeks of in class instruction and on road driving instruction. Had to pass the drivers ed. course to get a “learners permit” at age 15 (had to drive with an adult). My high school had a fleet of 1965 Pontiac’s, some automatic, some 3-on-the-tree, had to log hours driving both. After passing the drivers ed. course, had my learners permit (still age 15), Dad let me drive my brothers late model Austin Healy Sprite around the block, it had a floor shift of course. Brother was a freshman at Univ., freshman not allowed to have a car on campus. Dad would stand in our front yard, let me drive the Sprite around the block to get a feel of a floor shift. One evening while I was speed shifting the Sprite around our block a neighbor, who was Highway Patrol, pulled me over. I thought my ability to get my drivers license when I turned 16 was over. Neighbor HP told me to take the Sprite home! It was a simpler time.
I have been driving for more than 50 years. Defensive driving I learned more than 50 years ago still applies. I can still shift and drive to this day.