To lower a car/truck the right way
Buy lowering spindles or a drop Axel and re arch the leaf springs
I’m running a 3" drop Axel and mono leaf springs on our 50 Chevy 3100 pickup
Total 5" drop in front
3" in Back

Rides and handls better then stock
Plenty of ground clesrence
Cutting or heating your coils was in high school

Lowering using an aftermarket setup is not a bad thing at all. I have lowered them by cutting and by using the correct parts. I’d never cut another one to set it in the weeds.

As far as stereos go, I am an audio guy and love a nicely integrated sound system, which means custom built. I have done door and panel cutting similar to the picture above and regretted it, but that was years ago. I recently inherited my dad’s 65 f100 and was connecting the stereo last night and stood there looking at the doors where someone had previously cut holes and mounted a speaker in each. The door jambs didn’t have holes drilled for the wires though and going through the hinge is a bad idea. They still don’t have any new holes. I couldn’t bring myself to do it and just wedged a 6 1/2 in the factory location in the dash for now. The truck will get a nice modern custom audio setup in the future, but it will involve custom built kick panels for the front speakers and no metal cutting. I guess we all grow up sometime.

@hnielsen1937 - Cutting coils has its place, but I agree that heating coils is a hard no. Most vehicles don’t enjoy the support that a few favorite models do, and thus don’t have off-the-shelf items like drop spindles to install.

1 Like

Sure you do go on line or look up a machine shop to order what you want or need

Take a look at CCP in Orange County California good company to do business with

If you are ever in Southern California stop in and take a look at there show room

Not bad for a guy who started a business in his garage

It’s not like the old days where you had to do it yourself or go to the junk yard

Now it’s call 1-800

Thanks

In regards to the aftermarket “stereo” installation, it must first be considered who’s doing it and how much knowledge and experience the person has on this field. One who wants too much, but knows too little is bound to leave a mess of loose/noisy hardware, along with questionable sound results. Conversely, it would be a guy like myself. I have installed after market stereos to most of the cars I’ve owned for at least the last 30 years and it should be noted that I’ve never done this professionally in any form. Well chosen components in a correct installation will always beat the factory system, even when the OEM system is the “premium” one. If the installer gets a little advice from those who know he can do it right. When I sold my old 1998 XJ8L the lady buyer said: “I’m buying this car if only just for the fantastic sound system”.

I vehemently disagree. I lower almost all my cars - they look and handle MUCH better than stock - but you have to do it right, which may include adjustable strut mounts etc. Of course I prefer a sporty feel - most stock suspensions feel like a pogo stick to me. There are exceptions, some cars come out of the box with a good tight suspension nowadays. Porsche is one good example - but of course you pay dearly.

My motto is it’s your car, do what you want. Just be aware that virtually everything you do will lose money in resale value - unless you’re building a full custom like that sweet 50 Chevy pickup! I try to save all the old parts so I can put them back on when I sell. Then I sell the parts to some other car nut who can’t keep his hands off!