Hagerty.com

Cars and Coffee Meets: Where & when are they in your area?

Once upon a time we only had one place to gather and show our cars formally in my area. They were called car shows. We were charged $5 to park our car for a few hours to let spectators look and talk about them and possibly win a trophy. I don’t want my car to be judged, and most of the people I go with don’t want their cars judged either. We just want to meet up and share out love for cars and passion for the automotive hobby. It was a fun time for those who brought a car and those who came to see one of their dream cars.
In the past, the person at the gate would just charge the $5 “admission” and let me and the car in for “display only” when I told him “no judging”. I didn’t get a registration sheet to display in the wind shield or the goody bag of Armor All wipes and ketchup packet size of car wash, which is fine by me. Besides what does anyone do with trophies nowadays? To me they’re just another dust collector to fill the closet not to mention the hurt feelings some guys have if they don’t win, makes all the more reason I stay out of the politics side of the thing.
However, within the last few years the “show” scene has morphed into a money making venture for the promoters charging $25 (and sometimes $30 day of show) to drive a car in which in turn they use to attract spectators and charge them $5 a person, so they’re making money on both ends. Now, dont get me wrong, I dont have a problem with someone making a profit and will gladly pay $25 if its going to a worthy charity, but if you do just 1 show a weekend over the entire summer season it can cost over $300 which is hard to justify.
Fortunately, with the recent rise of Cars and Coffee events we have an alternative choice to the typical car show, but since these aren’t usually posted finding them is a little tricky.
I’m in Northern NJ and am very lucky to have Bergen County Cars & Caffe as my local meet which gets amazing cars of all kinds. However, its not a weekly event, so on off weeks I’m left looking for other free to display shows.
I get asked by a lot of other car guys where are other events like it that we can gather for free (or a minimal $5 entrance fee) but haven’t found many. Not meaning many in my area, but not many AT ALL within a 50 miile radius.
So I figured I’d try here.
I’m in NJ but am close to NY & CT so I’m not just asking about NJ specifically.
Please let us know where your C&C meets are, ow many cars typically attend, what type of cars, etc.
If anyone is interested in joining me at my local event there is going to be the Mother Of All C&C taking place at Garden State Plaza Shopping Center Paramus, NJ on Sunday October 1 2017. Its the Season Finale and I wouldnt be surprised if over 1000 cars show up. The lot holds 10,000 cars so bring a friend.

In L.I. they are called Cruise Nights. There cruise nights every night or day of the week. There are many depending on where you live in Nassau county or Suffolk County (Suffolk having the most). They are free, you just show up. For a good list of locations, check the web site for Long Island Classic Cars .com and click on “Events”.

In my area of SE Massachusetts, there is a “Cruise-in” every Friday night (in season) at the WalMart in Halifax, MA. It’s free admission for everyone. There are generally 100 or more cars of all kinds. Great place to walk around, just chat with car owners and visitors, and get advice/recommendations on anything automotive.

Just an update on the Bergen County Cars and Caffe event: it was much larger than anyone anticipated with OVER 5000 cars showing up! That is NOT a typo! OVER FIVE THOUSAND cars of all makes and models from NJ, NY, CT, MD, MA, PA and other States. Due to the huge success, they are planning on making this an annual event so if you can make it to the NYC area I highly suggest you check out their facebook page to keep informed.

Nice! 40 years ago I lived in Ramsey and that event would have been easy to get to. Of course back then I was driving a 1974 Chevrolet Vega GT.

Here’s what’s going on in and around Port St. Lucie, FL and Stuart, FL. We don’t put the brakes on during the winter. As a matter of fact, that’s when we accelerate!

Special October notes:

a. McKee’s 37 event on October 21st requires pre-registration for the car show.
b. Palm City Fall Fest event on October 28th has pre-registration - - optional.
c. The sun is going down earlier, so get those underhood lights working and consider bringing a flashlight!

1. Tuesday, October 3rd, 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM, Lowes Cruise-in. 3620 SE Federal Hwy, Stuart, FL 34997. $3 to display a car. Oldies music. 50/50 raffle. Food truck on site. Short walk to McDonalds. Expect about 50 cars. More info: Lew, 772-260-6509

2. Wednesday, October 4th, 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM, Wendys Cruise Night hosted by Moose, Holly and friends. 1790 SW St. Lucie West Blvd., Port St. Lucie, FL 34986 (close to exit 121, I-95). Free entry. Oldies music. 50/50. Wendy’s Choice plaque. FREE small soda. No purchase necessary. Anticipate 20 cars. Contact is Moose at 772-342-4330.

3. Thursday, October 5th, 5:00 PM to 7:30 PM, Highway 55 Diner cruise-in. 4007 Port St. Lucie Blvd, Port St. Lucie, FL 34953. (At the intersection of Parr Road and Port St. Lucie Blvd) Free admission. Hosted by Carlos & Friends w/oldies music. 20% off on food if you request a discount card from Carlos. Anticipate 25 cars. More info: Carlos, 772-528-4247

4. Friday, October 6th, Brass Monkey Bar and Grill car show, 7781 Lake Worth Road, Lake Worth, FL 33467, 5 PM to 8:30 PM. All cruisers get a 25% dining discount at the restaurant. Their food is excellent! Free admission. DJ. Estimating 50+ cars if the weather is good. Phone: 561-968-9559

Further out:

1. Friday, October 13th, 5 PM to 8 PM, Morningside Church Car Cruise-in, 2180 SE Morningside Blvd., Port St. Lucie, FL. Free event. Music. 50/50. Reasonably priced food truck. About 50 cars. Call 772-335-5166 for more info.

2. Saturday, October 14th, 8 AM to 10 AM, Autogeek.com Cars and Coffee. 7744 Jack James Drive, Stuart, FL, 34997. Free admission. Detailing tech session at 9 AM. $2 buys unlimited coffee and danish. 80-100 cars typically show up. More info: 772-286-2701

3. Monday, October 16th, 4:30 PM to 7:30 PM, Travel Centers of America Truck Stop Classic Car Cruise-in, 8909 20th Street, Vero Beach, FL 32996. Use I-95 exit 147, then east on state road 60. Open to all years, makes and models. Free entry. Oldies music. 3 restaurants, travel center and gas available. 10% off at all restaurants. Expect about 70 cars. More info: 772-562-1791.

4. Thursday, October 19th, 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM, Knights of Columbus Cruise-in, 451 SW Ravenswood Lane, Port St. Lucie, FL. Free event.
    Reasonably priced food and drinks available inside club. Award plaques. 50/50. Expect 50 cars if the weather is good. Contact is: Moose 772-342-4330

5. Friday, October 20th, 6 PM to 8 PM, Sunlight Community Church Car Show, 477 SW Cashmere Blvd., Port St. Lucie, FL. Free event. Music, 50/50, food truck, door prizes, “Sunlight Choice” award. 150+ parking spaces. Contact is Holly Elliott text 215-421-7410 or Moose at 772-342-4330 (no text). *** Please do not arrive before 5:30 as the church has another event going on before then. ***

6. Saturday, October 21st, 9 AM to 4 PM, McKees 37 Fall Car Show. Special guest Wayne Carini, detailing demos, DJ & more. 7782 Jack James Drive, Stuart, FL, 34997. Free, but MUST pre-register for car show. Call 844-852-5300 to register! http://www.mckees37.com/mk37-open-house-car-show.html

7. Saturday, October 28th, 10 AM to 4 PM. Palm City Fall Fest at Citrus Grove Park, 2507 SW Citrus Blvd., Palm City, FL. Awards at 3 PM. $25 pre-registration accepted up until 27 October at noon. Day of show: $30. (too much for me… I’ll spectate)

Google Palm City Chamber of Commerce for registration form.

1. Sunday, October 29th, Palm Beach Outlets Cars and Coffee, 9 AM to noon. Exit 71 on I-95. Only 2000 cars this time of the year, but next month will be more… Free!

Hello Robert, Thanks for the info! I wonder if your car is still alive since I attend most of the events in your old stomping grounds. I’m in Wyckoff (I know Ramsey well) if you havent been here in 40 years you wouldnt recognize the area!
My parents have a winter house in Jupiter which is a few towns from you. Does everyone from Bergen County move to the Stuart area?
Up here, Pops has a 66 Corvette Convertible, numbers matching, beautifully restored to perfection. I’v been trying to talk him into shipping it down for the winter months so he can enjoy it there. Maybe if I show him the list it will persuade him its worth the money for enclosed transport.
What do you guys have going on after Thanksgiving until Easter since thats when they are usually there? If you’re attending one of the shows I’ll have him say hello.

Here in the Midwest I’ve never heard of a car show, judged or otherwise, who’s revenue was not going to a charity. Venues are also typically donated and one or more area clubs do the organizing and publicity. I also have a different attitude on the costs. With each entry fee I get to walk around and admire the everyone else’s cars, spend time friends and maybe enjoy a good cigar while doing so. Knowing the money is a fundraiser, a couple hundred bucks over the course of the car season seems like cheap entertainment to me.
There are a few weekly car ‘show n shines’ that are free. One in particular in OMAHA is Cars ‘ n Coffee at 159th and Maple. Organized by the local Mustang club it’s every Saturday morning 7:30-9:30 May thru October. Something for everyone’s tastes… SC Auburns to Ferraris to Muscle cars to Imports.

The rules of this forum only allow “new users” to put two web links in a post and I have also “reached my limit” regarding being able to post a reply on this topic. Can we get some sanity here on the rules Hagerty??? I don’t know when I qualify to be an “old user”, so will have to leave it up to readers to do internet searches to find the links that I would have otherwise included for your convenience.

Sorry that I don’t routinely watch these forums - so am very late with a reply. Yes, I know that northern, NJ changed a lot. Real estate and NJ taxes are in the stratosphere - not interested. And I hate cold weather. I’ve lived in a lot of different places, but I’m in my favorite one now because every week I make new and interesting friends while attending and helping with “car events” here. It’s like a full time job! In addition to the every-Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday cruise-ins, here’s a snapshot of what else is going on after Thanksgiving:

1. Saturday, December 2nd, 9 AM to 3 PM, Awards at 3 PM. Treasure Coast Vintage Car Club (competitive) Show. Tradition Square, Port St. Lucie, FL 34987. Vehicle must be 1991 or older All vehicles must have a fire extinguisher. Cost is $30 in advance with proceeds going to the Operation 300 charity. $40 on day of show. See this link for the flyer: http://www.tcvcc.com/pdf/flyer.pdf Lots of (year) classes and trophies. Expect about 130 cars. Link to registration and payment: http://tcvcc.com/ Advance registration deadline is November 30th.

2. Saturday, December 2nd, 10 AM to 1 PM, B&A Flea Market Car Show, 2885 S. US1, Stuart, FL 34997 . Open to all years, makes and models. So this is a good alternative for you guys that have newer cars that can’t enter the Tradition show. Free entry. Cash prize awards: $100, $75, $50. Limited to 50 cars. Call 772-288-4915 to secure your space. Search for: bafleamarket dot com.

3. Sunday, December 3rd, 9 AM to noon. The BIG one! Palm Beach Outlets Cars and Coffee. Use I-95, exit 71 and head east to the outlet mall. Address for your GPS is: 1751 Palm Beach Lakes Blvd., West Palm Beach, FL. $5 to display a vehicle. 1500+ cars! Restrooms open all morning in food court. Mall shopping opens at 11 am.

4. Friday, December 8th, 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM, Morningside Church Car Show, 2180 SE Morningside Blvd., Port St. Lucie, FL. Free event. Music. 50/50. Very reasonably priced BBQ food truck. About 50 cars. Call 772-528-2707 for more info.

5. Tuesday, December 12th (rain date 12-19-17), 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM. (special) Lowes Car Cruise-in. 3620 SE Federal Hwy, Stuart, FL 34997. Bring an unwrapped toy (newborn to 10 years old). No stuffed animals due to allergies. Monetary donations accepted. Lowes Charity: Place of Hope, Treasure Coast Florida.

6. Friday, December 15th, 6 PM to 8 PM, Sunlight Community Church Christmas Car Show, 477 SW Cashmere Blvd., Port St. Lucie, FL. Free event. Bring a gift for kids or donation. Looking for: Legos, Appropriate Barbies, Play Dough Activity Sets, Art Sets, Tye Dye Kits, Card decks, Soduku, Girl craft kits (jewelry, beads, etc.), Board Games, Electronics/Video games, nail polish kits, lotion kits. Music, 50/50, food truck, door prizes, “Sunlight Choice” award. 150+ parking spaces. Contact is Holly Elliott text 215-421-7410 or e-mail Hollynothol at yahoo or DJ Moose at 772-342-4330 (no text).
    *** Please do not arrive before 5:30 as the church has another event going on before then. ***

7. Saturday, December 16th, Noon to 4 PM. 3rd Annual Shriner’s Christmas Car Show & Toy Drive at St. Lucie Bowling Lanes. 6759 S. US-1, Port St. Lucie, FL Open to all years, makes and models. About 80 cars. Free admission with donation or new, unwrapped toy. Info: 772-461-5390.

Way out there (2018), but keep your eye on two of my favorites:

1. Saturday, March 17th, 2018 “Under the Oaks” Car Show at Riverside Park. Address for GPS: 3200 Riverside Park Drive, Vero Beach, FL 32963, Registration: 8 AM to NLT 11 AM. Show hours: 10 AM to 4 PM. $20 if pre-registered before March 3rd. $25 after that. Antique Automobile Club of America judged. Fire extinguishers mandatory for judged cars. Over 320 cars last year. 15 judged classes! Search AACA dot com for info and pre-Registration form.

2. Sunday, March 18th, 2018 “Cars of Dreams” Museum & Car Show. 133 U.S. Hwy 1, North Palm Beach, FL 33408. The car show runs from 8 AM to 4 PM. Awards at 3:30 PM. Rare opportunity! The museum itself is only open to the public from 9 AM to 2 PM on March 18th. Costs $10 to tour. Advance car show registration is $20. Car show registration includes 2 tickets (!) to the museum. Day of show is $25.

Museum web site is here: carsofdreams dot com

Bob
Here’s a pic of Pops the day he got his car. Hopefully you will get to see it in person next year. I just saw my mom a few minutes ago and she’s going down tomorrow. She said she is going to talk him into getting it shipped there next November after the season ends here so he can enjoy it year round. I’ve told him for a few years he should but he’s reluctant. Maybe you can work on him if you see him.
Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. Jupiter is a bit far from Port St. Lucie, but perhaps your Dad can make it to the every-Tuesday Cruise-in at the Lowes in Stuart which runs from about 5 PM to 8 PM. Activity should be picking up there now with 150 or so cars. They have been able to handle about 275 there at the peak of the winter time. Glad that your Dad’s health is holding up.

This most recent arctic blast up north has people seriously re-thinking about where to live in retirement. One of my snow bird friends in Michigan called today to say that he’s definitely moving down here full time soon.

I’ll give you a call soon. Bob

For anyone in Southeast PA (specifically Philly, Bucks, and Montgomery counties) there is a nice cars and coffee meet at the Starbucks in the Barn Plaza Shopping Center at Rt 611 and Almshouse Rd in Doylestown PA. It is the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month starting in April and running through December. It is rain or shine. There is no fee…just a bunch of really cool cars and car guys and gals.

Car enthusiast gatherings are withering away for the summer here in Florida. Snow birds are heading north.

But I’ll be seeing some of you folks up in Michigan during the month of August - an annual trek that I do. I’ll be spectating all day at the “Back to the Bricks” event in Flint. Also will be spectating at the “Woodward Dream Cruise” on Thursday of “cruise week”.