Hagerty.com

Chip Foose’s custom Jaguar E-type stuns onlookers at SEMA

The design of the Jaguar E-type is timeless and beloved, but that doesn’t mean ol’ Chip Foose can’t give it a dash of something a little extra. One particular customer wanted a classic ‘74 E-type roadster like none other, and Foose Design spent 2.5 years bringing it to life before revealing the project at this year’s SEMA show.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/11/08/chip-foose-custom-jaguar-e-type-stuns-at-sema

This styling exercise does the original no justice, IMHO. It is a cat-astrophe.

I’m sure many of us are eager to see your interpretation. Full justice version.

My point is, I don’t believe the original version as Jaguar envisioned it in 1961 can be improved upon.

Said that way - gotcha. Misunderstood your tone.

I appreciate Chips imagination into where lines and balance can be taken with designs that maybe were perfect when made, but can tie in to where things have progressed since. It’s clear that classic lines can’t be manufactured today because of safety reasons, etc, but customs don’t need to obey those rules. That’s why I find them so fun. Cheers to appreciating the classics in both manners!

This car started out as a 1974 Jaguar E-type. By that point, efforts to correct the cooling, lighting and bumper protection failings of the 1961 car had already diminished the impact of the original design. That being said, the world doesn’t need any more cars with automatic transmissions.