Hagerty.com

Classic Classified - 1965 Impala SS 396

From: Hemmings Motor News Date: March 1989 Price then: $17,500 (33,700 adjusted for inflation – about the cost of a new 2015 Chevrolet Impala today) Price now: $23,500 - $74,500 Approximate dollar difference: $41,000 (assuming No. 1 condition) Approximate annual rate of return: 3%

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2015/08/06/Classic-Classified-1965-Chevrolet-Impala-SS-396

A friend who was a few years senior to me ordered a 65 Impala Convertible, red with black interior and white top taking delivery in March 1965. Back then 300HP was still really something and he bought it with the 327, 300HP and 4 speed. I’ve always been a Ford guy but this car was beautiful. The only complaint I would have, and this is a biggie and was funny, is the placement of the factory tachometer. As usual somebody would yell, “Get on it!” and off we’d go smoking the tires for the first 10 ft. He would power shift into 2nd, burn a little rubber and get off it because, well, he was already going well over the speed limit and he already impressed the loudmouth nobody who yelled. But if you don’t know what I’m talking about regarding the tach, it has probably a 4 inch face and placed right in front of the passenger seat. When Ed would be slowing down he would ask, “How high did the tach get?” because he had no clue relying only on instinct when to shift.
One of the most enjoyable days of my youth, I just turned 15, was Palm Sunday 1965 cruising around my west central Indiana home town with Ed. But while we were enjoying the first really nice spring day, about 100 miles or so were major tornadoes all across northern Indiana causing much destruction and some injuries and deaths. That was a really bittersweet memory.