Hagerty.com

Corvair enthusiast

In the early 60s I was fortunate to attend the chevy training center in Hinsdale Ill and for the next several years my main interest was Corvair. However, I really became interested when Ralph Nader began his campaign against the corvair in order to make a name for himself.Being young and somewhat adventureus at the time a fellow worker and I would take Corvairs on road tests to see how dangerous they were. we found if you got up to about 30mph and cut the wheel hard one way and then immediately hard the other way you could get the rear end to hop of the ground.(only a really experienced driver should try this !) We never lost control or came near rolling the car over! nuff said!
Now the rest of the story. While roadtesting a 66 Corvair on a narrow 2 lane road with deep drop-offs on both sides I had an idiot coming at me pass a car and enter my lane. I quickly cut the wheel hard right and just as I came close to going into the ditch on my side I again cut the wheel hard left and floored the gas. The idiot passed me by just as the rear wheels dug into the ditch and I popped back onto the pavement! Had I not experimented with a Corvair years earlier I wouldn’t be writing this now. Incidently, the IDIOT stopped in the shop office the following day not to apologize but to find out how I was able to avoid him. I called him an idiot and ran him out of the office.

1 Like

My Grandmother bought two Corvairs when they first came out. She always swore that they were two of the best cars she had ever owned. She also never complained about them being unstable. Keep in mind she wasn’t a little old lady at the time but 42 yrs. old with a driving style that could be best described as spirited. One got totaled when my mom was rear ended at a traffic light, and the other was traded in on a '67 Camaro when they were first introduced.

Also, a young lady thsy I went to high school with owned a Corvair (this was in 1990), and she drove the crsp out of that thing. I drove it once and found it to actually handle pretty well if given the appropriate amount of respect.