Hagerty.com

Designer John Fluevog loves Jaguars and flouts all convention

The rugged soles of the Angel shoes, designed by John Fluevog, bear the phrase, “resists alkali, water, acid, fatigue, and Satan.” That last one seems appropriate, given the famous designer’s love of Jaguars and tolerance for electrical systems created by the Prince of Darkness.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/03/14/designer-john-fluevog-loves-jaguars

That Mk 10 is way cool.

Can anyone say "Hirohata Merc:?

Maybe that’s a different car in the picture the one referred to in the text, but that ain’t no Series 3 V12, it’s a Series 1, 6 cylinder car.

When this “Pimp-Mobile” was entered in the prestigious British Field Meet at Van Dusen Gardens in Vancouver, the car was not allowed ot be parked with the rest of the Jaguars BUT was parked by itself by the toilets .

The best feature of recent Jaguars is the look. John Fluevog would have done well to use a soulless bathtub-shaped 1992 Impala SS like in the above story as the base car for his Mk10. It would have saved a nice Jag and possibly kept a Chevy from clinical depression.

This is the most disgusting recreation and in my opinion not even worth showing close to a toilet block.

He has the dough, why not use a modern Jag V-8 instead of a Chevy? The building shop just not wanting to deal with something unfamiliar? It would be different if there were no modern Jag engines to consider.

The two-tone XJ6 isn’t the one mentioned being built in the article, it’s stated that it was built in 2013. The one being built is an older car, much more of a classic/collectible. It is mentioned that it was “messed with already”, so there wasn’t much guilt in “messing with” such a classic, but doesn’t look like it had so much done that it couldn’t have been restored. It’s his car, he has the dough (and courage?) to do what many of us would like to do – rebuild a favorite in our own version of what we think it should have been or could be if it was produced today.

I still hate taking a car that could be restored and making a hot rod or custom out of it! Would be hard for me to do. I’m reminded of an article in one of the hot rodding mags where a guy bought an older restoration of a late 30s Lincoln Zephyr two door coupe with flat-head V-12 to make into a hot rod, following the “start with the best car you can find” ideology. About 18 months after buying he drove the finished (and well done, I might add!) rod over to the original owners to show what he had done. Was puzzled that the guy came out and looked, then turned around and went into his house and shut the door without saying a word.

I understand. A still nice restored car, and a good collectible, not something a bit more obscure like my 63 four door Rambler wagon, butchered for a hot rod. Would have been different if it had been a basket case or needed extensive rebuilding or rare parts to complete. I’ve seen a 30s Packard hot-rodded, but it was basically just a decent body when the guy started – bent frame, no running gear. the owner told me he looked into restoring, but it would have cost what the car would have been worth (and a few years!) just to collect all the missing correct parts. I can understand that one!

When are people going to deal with the fact that they’re HIS cars, and he can do what he wants with them. Snarky actions/ comments like making it park by the toilets don’t show much class. Even the snooty full-classic folks finally let the wood-body Chrysler Town & Countries in, and shows that used to have a 1948 cutoff have changed their tune. If you don’t want a car turned into a rod or custom, don’t sell it. Times change, tastes change, curmudgeons usually don’t.