Hagerty.com

Destined for the crusher, this 1948 Ford F1 is now a beloved driver

Old vehicles are a bit like stray puppies. They tend to adopt their owners, rather than the other way around. As evidence, Lori Bentley-Law can point at the 1948 Ford F1 pickup in her garage—the subject of our latest Why I Drive video.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/11/28/why-i-drive-1948-ford-f1

I am a Big Fan of the F-1’s! Ever since I was in High school I’ve always wanted one! Mine is considered a daily driver and I enjoy the heck out of It! I’m trying to send a photo of mine but won’t allow me.

Great story and video and saving an old truck is the best. The finish on the truck reminds me of the 1935-36 aluminum Fords commissioned byForgvd and Alcoa Aluminum I do believe.

I have owned many old trucks in my lifetime. And I now have two vintage Buicks. But driving an old basically original truck is an experience not to be missed. Many years ago I had an old International KB-1 that had been an Idaho Bell telephone truck. The big utitlity box was still on it, but the bins had all been cut out of it. The double doors and pipe rack were still on it, and I drove it all over Eastern Washington, eventually driving it across the state back to Bremerton, Washington from Pullman where I was in school. It was probably the most interactive driving experience I have ever had. Ms. Bentley-Law is to be congratulated. She gets it!!

It worked out I guess, my toasted 68 Torino 351 4sp.
For a 1948 Ford F-1, flat head 6, 3 or so on the floor, 16.5 ringed wheels and 4 massive snow tires.
It was purchased at the dealership, made a stop for gas, picked up “farm things” and went to the farm for the next 36 years, used daily on the farm and only had 1024 miles on it.
Ms Bentley-Law had some fun with some of it, this I know…good job !!!
Drove it from WA. to OK. several times, finally lost a connecting rod in east Colorado. Did a quick drop the oil pan pull the bad con rod and limped it 32 miles to the first Greyhound stop, sold the load and truck for a bus ticket for my wife to WA and it had pulled it’s weight as a good truck. Ran in OK during the summer with no fan belt, the 55 mph kept the water pump turning! And never did over heat, it ran on drip right off the tank, guarantee it will get 12 mpg loaded, unloaded, up hill, down hill. Load of 3 cone 17 inch drill bits weigh about enough that when you have a dozen in your vehicle you will really know it, but not even clutch smell, put it in low, step out and walk beside it…Good truck

I don’t know if it’s true for the F-1 but what I remember about Ford trucks of that era is a school bus I rode. It was around 1956-57 and we lived at 100 Grave Street, Fenton, MO. That big old house is gone now. I was in kindergarten and then the 1st grade when I rode that Ford bus before we moved to Indiana. I could hear the bus coming up the road from what I believe was then Highway 30 because it sounded like it was singing due to the way the air flowed through its grille. The pitch changed as the speed changed. Never thought about it much until in my later years I heard an old Ford singing as it came in my direction and it brought back memories.

Let me tell you about my 1948 Ford Pick/Up. I found it in a barn which was owned by my Math Teacher in High School----I was 17 years old. My Teacher said that he had allowed a friend to park his truck in the barn several years before and he had not been back to check on it, so if I wanted to buy it, I should contact the owner. He said his name was Harry Bush. (I am not kidding-don’t laugh)
The caretaker on the farm was an older man with a little white goatee–His name was Mr. Stallcupp. I asked Mr. Stallcupp if he knew anything about the Pick-Up and he said all he knew was it didn’t use any oil as he checked it on the stick every few months and it hadn’t gone down any.(No wonder-the truck had not been started for years)
Anyway, Mr. Bush said he would sell it to me for $50.00. I towed it to the local Ford Dealer to have it State inspected, and then drove it until I went in the Air Force.
I am 86 years old. but I remember that “Barn Find” like it was yesterday.