Hagerty.com

Diesel Brothers hit with big fine for tampering with truck emissions

Henry “Heavy D” Sparks and “Diesel Dave” Kiley, better known as the Diesel Brothers on the Discovery Channel, have been ordered to pay $848,000 in fines for illegally modifying the emissions control systems of diesel pickups. The Standard-Examiner newspaper in Utah reported that the fines stem from around 400 violations of removing or bypassing particulate filters or catalysts that reduce NOx and soot emissions.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/03/11/diesel-brothers-hit-with-big-fine-for-tampering-with-truck-emissions
1 Like

Too many cameras these days…

2 Likes

I’m glad to see a crackdown on the blatant violation of emissions laws by the aftermarket. Next I’d like to see people ticketed for rolling coal, and be required to return the vehicle to stock. We all breath the same air.

16 Likes

Or- People could stop being whiny bitches

17 Likes

I have no problem with someone increasing the performance of their vehicle. I’ve done it many times but this rolling coal crap has got to stop. I don’t care if they jack it up to monster truck levels and then put 20" wheels with rubber band tires on it. It looks stupid and that’s their business. I like the idea of citizen enforcement actions.

10 Likes

I suppose the tractor pull events will be next on the “rolling coal”.
We need to keep things in perspective. Even 400 vehicles over many years is nothing compared to the VW volume.
The American ability to modify vehicles is an art form and needs some exclusion from production regulation.

6 Likes

If you want to start cracking down let’s start by handing out fines to all the people with motorcycles that run no exhaust causing noise and air pollution. They are left to do what ever they want.

7 Likes

The only thing worse than people building barbie trucks is people rolling coal. Diesel is about efficiency. People who roll coal need to have their trucks taken away.

8 Likes

The issue with “rolling coal” is that it’s not necessary to make big power. I have a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD with a 6.6L Duramax in it. It has a Banks, turbo-back exhaust, which, other than the muffler, is pretty much a straight pipe from the turbo back. It also has a Banks, cold-air intake on it. I can get on it hard and no black smoke comes out at all.

All engines put out black sut - yes, even gasoline engines - when too much fuel is being put into the cylinders. There’s a saying about this that applies perfectly to the situation: “If it’s smokin’, it’s broken.”. Bottom line, as Gale Banks has proven time and time again, you don’t need to blow black smoke to make big power. Anyone who has tuned their truck to do that is, ultimately, just wasting fuel and is, really, just being a prick about driving a big, diesel truck.

10 Likes

I too am happy they fined them, hope they can not worm their way out of it. I do not want to breath their crap, Yes I wish all the smoke belching trucks were given a stiff fine, or scrap the trucks. That is my opinion after 50 years in the collectable car hobby. Richard Clark

9 Likes

The Discovery Channel was irresponsible in presenting this crap show to the gullible public who thinks it’s acceptable to pollute our shared airspace this way. Shame on the Discovery Channel. They should be fined heavily too for hosting this. I’m a car geek too but times have changed folks. Over fueling and belching black smoke is NOT acceptable. Get with the times.

7 Likes

Good. Rolling coal is for idiots.

9 Likes

Maybe it’s time to read up on just how bad NOx and soot is for your lungs.

9 Likes

rsmith: You are 100% correct we should all contact Discovery and tell them we do not approve of their
promotion of these law breakers

5 Likes

Thankful my 2001 Cummins Ram never had any pollution equipment from the factory. I’ll never sell it. Citizen enforcement action knucklebusted? Bless your heart. Go for it. Keep in mind we have concealed carry in PA. Robber band tires on a vehicle that from the factory requires a load range E tire in part due to the weight of the engine? You’re OK with that? I guess you don’t know much about vehicles.

5 Likes

Notice how many of these rolling coal guys are really bold and stupid at the end of their keyboard? Richard Clark

7 Likes

A nice, little black cloud gets the attention of a poorly skilled driver better than any factory installed horn. :blush:

1 Like

That’s 400 cars modified by one company in one place. Multiply that by all the other companies modifying and all the DIY mods, then multiply that by 20-50* and you get a better picture on effectively how many “more” trucks are on the road. And that doesn’t even count “rolling coal”, which puts out 1,000x more emissions than a regularly-driven unmodified vehicle.

*(The wide range is because it depends on how significant the modifications to emissions controls are. Completely bypassing emissions allows a diesel vehicle to emit 50x more than a compliant “clean” diesel.)

2 Likes

With the cleaner air that these sanctions will substantially bring. We will all live longer which means we’ll add years onto our lives so we can watch the left lane drivers block that lane while not being fined for many more miles. Distracted driving is much much more a hazard than a little bit of smoke from a handful of trucks.

1 Like

Next will be NASCAR getting fined for “burnouts”!

4 Likes