Hagerty.com

Don’t expect your Cadillac Allante to get top-dollar any time soon

Love it or hate it, the Cadillac Allante inarguably makes for an interesting story. And no matter which side of the debate you stand on, the Allante stands out in an otherwise dim time for American cars.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/09/13/dont-expect-your-cadillac-allante-to-get-top-dollar-any-time-soon

Maybe one of the reasons for drop in or not signing up for insurance with your company is the fact that you require a locked garage. Well if the Allante is not worth very much in your story why the big deal of a lockable garage then. Even with a two sided car port in a twenty four hour gated community you will not insure. Could this story be “so there!!” ? Thanks for all the kind words. Florida Allante owner

At some point in the last few years Hagerty has changed their requirements for vehicle storage, at least in my area in MS. Now they will accept other storage methods besides just a garage. I have one in a garage, one under one of those inexpensive metal roof carports, and one sitting in the driveway with no cover. I’m sure it costs more to store the one in the driveway than it would if it was in a carport or garage, but it’s still cheaper and better coverage than I had with my main insurance company.

Well I can’t comment on the required “Lock Garage” aspect simply because I keep my “Classics” in a “Locked Garage”; but that’s another discussion and I don’t truly believe the Hagerty Value Tool considered or was affected via the “Locked Garage”. To continue: I recently picked up a 1995 Corvette as another “Classic”; always wanted a Corvette and these C4s in my opinion have hit their “low end” (value); are affordable and if you find one that has been taken care are a great ride; with that said (price range) I was also looking for an Allante; I thought they are simply great looking cars and the fact that it is a “two seater” Cadillac; well I thought that was different and unique. Now with that said remember I also like and have owned the following: Pinto, Maverick and a Corvair; so not sure if my comment carries much weight. Always enjoy the Hagerty emails.

I always liked these cars, when they first came out price kept me out of one. I got older and practicality kept me out of one. Then I tried one out and I just couldn’t get comfortable in the seats, Now that I have a solid daily driver, reliability keeps me away from them. I drive a Scion as my daily driver and I have a Miata for enjoyment, and as a former Fiero owner I can tell you that if you took reasonable care of them GM 2 seaters, evan the ones with horrid reputations, can be reasonably reliable. The Fiero went 228,500 miles before a kid in a Fiesta rear ended me and caused an electrical problem that sent the Fiero to its rest. That said, a 30 year old Caddy that was babied, probably has a whole set of idiosyncrasies, we shall call them idiosyncrasies, that I just don’t want to deal with learning about.

I owned a '92. I can second the admittedly great looking Recaro seats become uncomfortable on long drives.

Also, the interior trim hardware is cheap plastic. Nor does a manually operated speak well for a highly priced ($54K) luxury sports car. Not good for a vehicle that once prided itself on being the “Standard of the World.”

One must also be aware of and appreciate the fact that the Allante is a high maintenance vehicle. It is demanding of both one’s caretaker attention and their money!

On the positive side, I found the 4.5L engine a blast to drive!

I sold a 1991 Allante in June of '18. It was an honest, documented 19k mile car. Very beautiful condition. I loved the car itself but anything I had done on this car was very expensive. During my 6-year tenure with the car, I replaced the ABS pump, fuel injectors, A/C compressor and related parts, oil pan gasket, belt tensioner, muffler. power window switches and radio speakers among others.

I was advised by the Allante expert I used in West Palm Beach to be sure to keep the brake fluid flushed regularly to prevent brake problems. He also said the coolant must be changed often too to help prevent problems with the head gaskets.

My point is that these are high-maintenance cars, very specialized, often difficult to diagnose problems on and very expensive to repair so if you aren’t willing to accept this before buying one, then don’t!

Then there’s the whole “not popular with the kids” line. Seeing as they won’t insure anyone under 26, I’m not sure they would know if it was popular with younger people anyway.

Early this year I bought a 93 Medium Blue Metallic, Dark Blue Top, with the optional chrome plated aluminum wheels, Allante. The car is actually gorgeous. I own several Cadillac’s and this one was priced at a fraction of what it cost new. These are great cars to have, especially now because they’re priced low for what you get. If you take our time and shop, you can find the parts you need at reasonable prices.

I owned what everyone said was the worst Allante (1988 w 4.1 engine).
I found that if you changed the brake fluid and antifreeze every 6 months the car was great. You did have to pay attention to the car! I believe that most Cadillac owners weren’t used to doing that. Also, the dealers didn’t know how the brake system worked nor the proper car of an aluminum engine.

The Allante is in the same boat as my Chrysler TC by Maserati. It’s a nice, fun two seat convertible that I didn’t have to pay a lot of money for.
At least I don’t ave 25 of them.

To each their own. I have a red 2002 Thunderbird which is great fun and a V-8. The really nice thing is I bought it 4 years ago for $10,000 and it is still worth that today if not more. To me, I think the $20,000 over the sticker price some/most dealers were charging when the were new is probably why they didn’t sell so well or become popular, that tends to sour a lot of people. I’ll have to admit the dash layout could have been more sporty rather than borrowed from the Lincoln LS. But so far at 101,000 miles it’s been very reliable and I’ve seen a couple with over 300,000 miles and you would not even know it. Plus 23mpg!

Would a '92 Indy pace car edition be worth anything extra?

@1941jjs
You wrote: “Would a '92 Indy pace car edition be worth anything extra?”

Here is one that’s currently on ebay and has been for a long time. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Cadillac-Allante-CONVERTIBLE/131708463323?hash=item1eaa6fa8db:g:sN0AAOSwCypWotY3

I don’t see that it’s priced any higher just because it’s the Pace Car edition.

Not true at all. Gone is that requirement as well.

@topher339 - That is not a requirement in all situations. Our guidelines and acceptability can vary state-by-state and between the U.S. and Canada.

I hope that’s the case. I had to transfer my Cougar to my dad to get it insured through Hagerty and haven’t driven it since. He also recently had another vehicle insured, those in the household under 26yrs had to sign a paper saying they wouldn’t drive and could not be covered. I’ll just have to give it a check, I suppose. In any case, it hardly seems fair to be completely denied simply for not matching up to what feels like an arbitrary number, as if not being old enough makes me unfit.

It’s all about risk. Give us a call with your father at your convenience and we discuss what options you gentlemen may have.

A friend of mine has had three of them… guess he is a slow learner. Couldn’t take it to a commercial car wash since most of the water would end up inside the car. On one, the master cylinder needed replacing, but the only ones available were $3,000! They probably were braggable (if that’s a word) at the country club when new, but I’d rather deal with a fifty year old british beast than an Allante.

“Rather take 50 year British beast” - That’s really saying something!