Hagerty.com

Don’t miss the boat on these 6 cars

Every time I see a Hummer (any number) I just cringe because of this very issue. Agreed this has nothing to do with consumer performance. But it’s military performance was over-rated and associated with the worst mutilations. The armorment was tanatamoint to the Huey’s in Vietnam. This stigma will forever follow the Hummer irrespective of crash test data. Why would an investor want any part of that history. Also, the funniest unknown fact, the Hummer got a farm machine exemption!!! You didn’t even have to own a farm to get the tax exemption. Farm machine? Tractor? Really? This was GM’s incentive from the govt to promote war-like machines to a consumer market that had no use for them. We are now in our 17th year in Afghanistan. And this is what we have to show for it? The wanna-be Hummer!

I owe one of these beauties. 2001 750il protective series. Amazing car. Some electrical issues,trying to get it fixed up for weekend d drive. From my research there were only 85 made from 1999 to 2001 750il protective series .

Any I formation in this car may be help full and anyone has proof of how many were made a d what are they worth in mint condition.

Sold my 1980 280zx and got a 97 m3 coupe with a 5 and what’s called the luxury package. At 240 hp this little rocket ship hauls a**. They are track cars for the road, mine has 191k on it and is such a strong driver. I’m 67 and still playing. Pick one of these cars up, you won’t regret it.:blush:

Here is a frame off resto. off roader. Thoughts?

I agree, that’s why I got my 300 ZX TT earlier this year. Amazing car. It deserved every car of the year award it won. Get the crank HP up to about 400 and it’s more fun than my LS7.

I owned one with all the features listed, including the dual thickness windows, heated steering wheel, et al. just like robs description. When it ran, it ran beautifully! When it broke, it broke like a Ferrari. Blew a radiator hose, no damage to the engine. Replacement cost? $2,400! They had to remove the head to replace the hose! Dual batteries have to be factory spec., covered by the dealer, but retail was close to a grand. My Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II was less expensive to maintain. It was a love/hate relationship with my 750il. Beautiful car…but…NEVER AGAIN!

Nothing special? 1. H3 Alpha voted 51 coolest trucks of all-time 2. In 2023 will be a historical vehicle (15 years old and no longer made) 3. 5.3L V8 power and reliability with parts readily available 4. Legendary 4X4 off road capability 5. ***3 time Baja 1000 champion basically stock with upgraded shocks. The list is longer but just wanted to present some highlights. Why is your vehicle collectible?

I’m a Ford guy and the '77-'79 "Bird is my second favorite series (favorite is "58-'60 “Squarebirds”). In fact, I certainly still have my base model 1978 Thunderbird purchased new on September 21, 1977. Beautiful car and mine only has 163,000 miles and only major repair has been a transmission overhaul. I buy and keep cars I like and couldn’t care less if anyone else likes it or what “resale” might be. Cheers, JJ

I have my favorites too, but based on Hagerty’s data, and the six they came up with, I would have to go for the Belvedere! All that chrome!

For real? A 1977 - 1979 Thunderbird? It was a luxury boat that didn’t even have a sport model those years! THEY NEVER MENTION A 1978 - 1979 DODGE MAGNUM XE! Only made 2 years but was a NASCAR for Richard Petty! And it had a sport model GT with more engine options. I was a teenager in 1977 and although Chrysler had tough times in 1979, seeing the 300 and Magnum rolling down a street was still more exciting than seeing a 1977 Thunderbird!

I have a 1988 300CE (W124 coupe) with the single cam 300 and love it. Classy lines even today. BTW: I love getting to it and inhaling the combined fragrance of leather and mohair seat stuffing. Other than occasionally having to tweak the Bosch K-Jetronic FI, it runs flawlessly.

Where is the 2003-2004 Mercury Marauder?!

Datsun Roadsters! Maybe, just maybe, these under-valued gems are finally getting the respect they have always deserved. These were really well conceived and built. Very user friendly. Great driving experience. Great parts availability. Great enthusiast support. And, at least for now, still very affordable. Both the 1600 and the 2000 are fantastic but, IMHO, the 2000 is the better performer with the 1967 2000 being The One to have. But good luck with that as they are very, very rare.

I’m bewildered by the interest in pickups and SUV’s as collector vehicles… I would love to hear from collectors, as to why they like them. Of the scores of pickups and SUV’s I’ve either owned, or driven over the past 40 years, I never once stepped out of one, and thought, “I can’t wait to have that driving experience again.” Clearly I’m missing something.

SUVs are not collectible IMO. I mean, you can collect them, but I don’t think they will be worth anything. First of all, a vehicle, including pickups, have to meet certain criteria before they will ever be of any value. They must have 2 doors (unless you go back to the age of Cords and Dusenbergs) Four door vehicles are nothing but taxicabs, transportation appliances, nothing more. Old 4 doors make great drag racers, they can be made a lot faster than they look, and if you crash one, it’s no great loss. They must be pre emissions vehicles with carburetors and no electronics of any kind, and those pretty much end with the 1972 model year. Not that some carbureted safety bumper cars aren’t desirable, and may eventually go up in value. But newer vehicles are built to be disposable. The era of true collector vehicles has been over for a while.

As for pickups, it just depends on your taste. If you like muscle cars, or convertibles, pickups may not be for you. But my former 1959 Chevy Apache 1/2 ton stepside, in bright yellow with Cragar S/S wheels, a handbuilt 383 small block under the hood, a 4 speed manual transmission, and true dual exhaust with glasspacks was a blast to drive. I took it to the track once and it ran in the high twelves. It would lay rubber at will, and had a mild cam in it, giving it a wonderful sound. No, it was not stock, but it was not stock, but it was not cut up either, and could have been returned to stock. I got it without the engine and transmission. It still had the original front suspension. No way was I going to cut that up and install IFS. The original leaf spring setup is 10 times stronger, and there is no alignment problems to deal with. It was not a great handler, it wasn’t meant to be. It was my idea of a hot rod. Someday I’m going to find the right truck and build a gasser out of it.

If you are thinking about late model pickups and 4 door SUVs, yeah, they are garbage, and will never be anything else.

Early 80’s when I got married I bought my wife a 1970 Riviera (455) and I bought a 1970 Olds 442 we drove every day including to work in the 1980’s. In 1987 I Bought my wife a 1987 Grand National to drive and put the Riv in storage, same year I bought a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T from my neighbor the same year for $3,000 and drove that on weekends and now is now in storage. Bought low mileage 82 corvette early 90’s drive that in summer and bought a 92 corvette in 1994 and still today i drive that year’round 225,000 on the odometer. In 1996 bought the Impala SS only 52,000 on the odometer today. I bought the 2008 Hummer Ultra Marine Edition still drive that every day and love it. i also bought a 1978 Corvette Pace Car 8,000 miles on it today - I cruise backroads on weekends. I still own and drive these vehicles today - when I drop dead my family can sell this collection of American automotive history and I guess you could say I never lost a penny in depreciation!
I think of all the money people have wasted buying ordinary cars that depreciate to $00. I have never waste a dollar on a car that I didn’t think would hold some value. Should I be teaching this strategy in some college class?

I love that car! So cool, I want one.

That’s a really sweet BMW. But I have to ask, are these models starting to appreciate yet? I’ve been shopping BMWs because my son is interested in getting one, and I like them too. But I keep seeing stories about transmissions failing, engine issues, lots of codes, cooling issues, etc. Maybe it’s certain years or models, but it always seems to me the 7’s depreciate the most. Possibly because the bigger bodies don’t appeal to as many people? Still thinking it’s a great car, but I, like another person mentions above, like the shark-nose 5-6-and 7’s of the mid-80’s. Give me a 635csi, an M5 or M6, or especially 745i e23 built in South Africa. That turbo-6 can be boosted to 400hp!!! I had a 735i and loved it.

Livemeyer, I do my own work on the 750iL, but it’s only got a lil’ over 90K on it too. I recently upgraded the Nav system out of a 2002, bigger screen, lots of info on Club sites. As far as horsepower goes, it’ll drive our 80mph Interstates with ease, with lots to spare… and the sound of that V12 is a special kind of music, 'n still gets 18 to 20 mph doing it, of 'course it doesn’t have all that ‘Smog’ crap on it either. As far as what the others have said above, it’s a high powered sedan, and like any BMW or other European performance car, ya gotta take care of 'em, 'n change their fluids like clockwork, 'cause if ya don’t, all hell will break loose, especially in your wallet…
Merry Christmas from Montana

I think one of the nicer, more collectable cars are the mid-to-late 80’s Thunder Bird turbo coupe to the early 90’s super coupe. These cars were unique looking & solid as a rock with great handling and performance.

I had a 1986 Turbo coupe and the seats & interior were top notch. The Driver’s seat was well bolstered with every feature you could ask for to deliver a comfortable & secure driving experience. You felt like you were embedded into the structure of the car with never a rattle or shimmy anywhere.

Because it was a 2 door coupe & the design of the doors wrapped at the top slightly into the roofline, it gave the car a solid sleek European look. Very sporty & powerful and everyone I know who ever had one loved it!