Hagerty.com

Driving the Superformance Corvette Grand Sport

Cook’s Corner opened in 1926, serving the good stuff after Prohibition. Today the rugged roadhouse is one of Southern California’s most famous biker bars. Tucked away in Aliso Canyon, its weathered wood façade and rural setting feel a world away from L.A.’s urban sprawl, although the clog of two freeways and the endless restaurant chains and housing developments of Irvine lurk just a few miles to the west.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/03/27/driving-the-superformance-corvette-grand-sport

OK I am officially bummed. I live within 1 mile of Cooks Corner off of Live Oak Canyon Road. The Alan Green Chevrolet race Cheetah also lives there. What a photo op we missed. Getting those two cars together for a picture. I have vintage raced this Cheetah since 1990. The only time I have raced against a GS was at Phoenix in 1992 in the USRRC Seniors Tour. Doug Hooper was driving the Grand Sport roadster.

I used to drive Aliso Canyon in my 73 911E when I lived in SoCal. It wasn’t like Angeles Crest…too much traffic to push the car. It was a semi-casual cruise. It’s a tight road; narrow and twisty in places with driveways around every corner. Park at the end and go for a hike up the canyon to get a short experience of the Cleveland national forest. I’m sure the Superformance GS was a handful on that road. I never stopped for a beer. That always waits until the sports car or motorcycle is safely back in the garage.