Hagerty.com

eBay Find of the Week: 1988 Mazda RX-7 convertible

Japanese sports coupes were all the rage in the 1970s, ’80s, and ’90s. The first that come to mind are the Datsun/Nissan Z and Toyota’s Celica/Supra, which dominated the class and drove the trend toward more power, more weight, and turbocharging, and away from lightness and simplicity as the decades wore on. Perhaps less well-known, but no less well-regarded, was Mazda’s innovative RX-7.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/04/06/ebay-find-1988-mazda-rx-7

The convertibles had speakers in the headrests, although I don’t know if it was standard or an option. It seems pretty luxurious for the time.

Definitely. Those leather sports seats with headrest speakers were very nice. Mazda continued the headrest speakers in the first-generation Miata and they really worked well when driving top down.

IIRC they weren’t just “BBS style” wheels. BBS was the actual supplier…and they were specific to the convertible models.

I think you’re right about the BBS rims, but they were branded Mazda so I wasn’t sure. I always liked how Mazda used real Nardi steering wheels and shift knobs on some years of the Miata, as well. It was a nice touch for the parts of the car the driver interacted with the most.

Yep. BBS continued to supply wheels for certain (special) versions of the RX7 right thru to the model’s end in 2002 (we just didn’t see them as LHD in North America after 1995). Likewise, Nardi.