Hagerty.com

Electric sheep and the secret nightmare of clean pollution

This is true; however, the real blame of the backup camera comes to the modern car designers.

The older cars that most of us on the forum tend to favor have huge transparent surface areas for the “greenhouse” the top portion of the car that contains the front and rear windshields, and the side windows as well…

Modern cars tend to have a lopsided greenhouse… More transparent surface area in the front, with a sometimes ridiculously miniscule amount in the back… I guess, some people like this style, but me, I’m not a fan of it.

Some would tell you to try sat radio, but that’s a lot of $$ and some of the more popular channels are on a semi permanent repeat setting; and have their own in-band commercials where they advertise other channels on the channel you are currently listening to!

The last time I checked the AM band, I either got the farm report or the oldies. I hear it is now the domain of talk radio, so there may not be any joy to be had there.

As far as the “wisdom” of federal mandated safety business, look no further than the law that repealed glass headlight lenses in the U.S. They got replaced with plastic ones… Plastic oxidizes way faster than glass, so now you see yellow headlight lenses pretty much wherever you go. Furthermore; I kind of liked the style of the glass headlight lenses on cars.

Sure, maybe broken plastic is a little safer than broken glass…

But, who are they kidding anyway, right?

Kyle

Excellent points all and my beef with those proposing a green plan that is not thought through. I just want to reply to taking the risk on nuclear. It’s just too damm expensive. About ten years ago three new plants were started. South Texas project has since been cancelled and license withdrawn. The project in South Carolina has about bankrupted Toshiba and Southern Electric. The one that remains ongoing is Vogtle in Georgia and it is iffy, wrought with engineering and construction issues.

I agree, propane was the short-term solution. If it had been done 10 years ago you could of had a very large percentage of the current vehicle fleet breathing 27% cleaner vs. 2% that is electric. Since that 2% is mostly high-end luxury cars I think we’d be at the same spot without the subsidies having gone that way --so we could of had the propane in the meantime + the 2% while the hybrid-electric thing gains steam towards something eventually better (that might not even be electric).

I don’t know… some sources say solar panels contain lead, cadmium and chromium.

Read longterm test reviews of current electric vehicles --people are seeing range drop offs after a few years. Battery pack replacements currently would make these vehicles scrap value before they wear out the rest of the components. If this is hard-legislated then the cost of vehicle ownership is going to skyrocket, which isn’t a problem if we all live in congregated cities I guess.

Others math it out that they are more waste per Watt than nuclear.

The performance dynamic of electric powertrains is impressive. Immediate full power at the wheels is undeniable. Granted a modern minivan beats must 1960s muscle in all performance categories if one actually looks at in-era data.

Youtube is pushing a creator that built a pickup out of a Tesla Model 3
It clicks all the boxes, empowered female, EV, and seemingly an original idea.
Somehow they don’t show a simple step from the fabrication, only the teardown. I’m an automotive engineer and would’ve liken to see how they strenghtened the chassis, like is that roof rack a sort-of-cage that ties in to the front windshield frame, etc…
Also a Model 3 is almost the worst choice to do this to, if you look in the manual. The total cargo weight with 1 passenger is 650lbs. That’s it. She would’ve done better buying a Dodge Rampage with double the capacity, and that car is sure stopped depreciating now, plus is a much greener alternative to cutting up a perfectly good Model 3.
But you know, it’s not electric, and there are no companies making EV convers… oh.

1 Like

I saw that…

I, too, echo your sentiments about not much on the technical side of things with the Tesla 3 Truck conversion… Perhaps some effort was made to beef up the suspension to allow for more truck utility to be had off of it. In my opinion, she probably would be better off waiting for the Rivian unless Ford runs it into the ground.

But, I’m sure it is a popular video, for the reasons you mentioned and then some. It doesn’t hurt that the lady behind the project is attractive.

I haven’t seen a Dodge Rampage around in years… There is a company here in the states that does Ute style conversions, and even sells them as kits, but they didn’t have any for the Tesla series that I saw.

Kyle

Hydrogen…Electric batteries work lousy in the cold. Who wants to spend hours recharging a battery on a trip. Hydrogen is everywhere. The only issue is it’s production and storage in other ethan high pressure tanks, but it’s a working solution and many countries see it as the savior.

I don’t know that it makes much difference, but the Europeans pretended those diesels were much cleaner than they really were. The VW emissions scandal unfolded only because some Americans decided to test the diesels sold here–expecting they’d pass:

So it is said that cities will be the best place to implement EV use for the populace. I just can’t wait to see all of the extension cords coming out of the row homes across the sidewalks in Baltimore City for car charging. “What happened, my car didn’t get charged over night because somebody made off with my cord”. Or the lawyer television advertisements, Can’t work since your injury tripping over a charge cord on the sidewalk. If you have a phone you have a lawyer. LOL!

In the 1960s, they felt the same way about new cars.

And now which cars are the most popular in the hobby?

When it comes to culture, people are not good at predicting the future.

I just saw this article and forum. Great comments and wonderful hyperbole from the author. As a minor point, Mr Baruth needs to revise his history analogies a trifle: I quote him: “:kind of like German chemists in underground bunkers during World War II trying to make rubber after the British overran the rubber plantations.”
Very briefly, the Japanese overran the Asian plantations and halted shipments of natural rubber in 1941. The Brazilian rubber shipments were curtailed by the threat of German Uboats. The USA launched a crash program to manufacture synthetic rubber in 1942, but tires were always rationed by the Allies during the war as some natural rubber was always needed. The German chemical industry had developed methods for creating synthetic fuel and rubber years prior to WWII. I believe the USA largely adopted the German synthetic rubber methods for their wartime programs. There is lots more information about these historic strategic materials; but I can only hope that today’s rare earths also can be replaced with ersatz.
Enjoyed the article and also the recent tribute to Lee Iaccoa. Thanks
GG

Jack! Again with the hate! News for you: EVs and ICE vehicles will continue to co-exist for decades. What are you worried about? Arguments about what happens in the manufacturing process, what-pollutes-what is almost obnoxiously unimportant. When a car - any car - presents an operating cost revolution that significantly saves a consumer money, the market opens up. Top down, bottom up, doesn’t matter. Save the consumer money, you will sell a product. Comparing today’s electric technology to 22-year-old European pollution policy just doesn’t work. If this F-150 is the last ICE truck you ever buy, it won’t be because legislators and manufacturers are forcing you to buy shittier electric vehicles, it will be because electric vehicles will be the better product to buy. Embrace the technology, or for chrissakes at least keep up the maintenance on your poor old F-150!