Hagerty.com

Emerging Classics - Classic Car Market

Some short-sighted prognosticators in the classic car world have gone on record as saying that nothing built post-1972 will ever be collectible, but the unmistakable popularity of 1980s and 1990s cars in the market has illustrated the fallacy of that statement. Here are five up-and-comers to consider:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2015/08/05/collector-vehicles%20

There are three digits that simply drive every car enthusiast wild — “V12“, so I would add the E38 BMW 7 Series, with the 750i or iL (US) sedan’s M Sport Pkg to the list. For the E38-generation BMW 750i, Bavarian engineers stuffed an M73 5.4 liter V12 under the hood. That monster engine developed 322 hp with its 361 lb-ft of torque. Whilst that may not sound like a lot today, it could cruise the autobahn at 150+mph, and was faster than the Mustang GT of the time. Plus, that engine wasn’t about all-out power, it was about being under-stressed and powerful enough to waft its passengers along in smooth, silky speed. The M73 was a fabulous engine, and the absolutely brilliant 1995 thru 2001 E38 7 Series, was a match made in heaven. Oh, for future collectability, it must be noted that BMW only made 1032 of the US market 750iL’s in 2000/2001, 'n less with the M Sport package.