Hagerty.com

Europeans are buying American classic cars by the boatload

Picture yourself this July 4th weekend roaming a huge fairground along with more than 100,000 other gearheads. You’re gazing at the spectacle of 20,000 or so classic American cars, running the gamut from Airflows to Z/28s. As far as your eyes can see, it’s an ocean of bright paint colors, gleaming chrome, hood scoops, tailfins, and mag wheels.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/06/10/europeans-buying-american-classic-cars
1 Like

Enjoy the ICE vehicles now. In the not too distant future, they will be parked by a T-Rex in a natural history museum.

Sold a 66 Mustang fastback overseas a few years ago. Felt so bad after it left I decided to never do it again.

1 Like

Back in 2004 I put my '57 Caddy up for sale through a classic car dealer. Guess where it went… Sweden.

American manufactures have lost there talent or desire to produce beautiful cars like in the 50"s and 60’s and instead are building ugly ducklings made of plastic that all look the same.
All they want to build is Trucks and SUV’s I hear.
Now won’t that be just Ducky.
Enter all the Foreign 4 door sedans, Coupes and convertibles.
Detroit is losing it.

There are still plenty of cars here. While it may be trend to ship cars over seas I predict the nostalgia will be short lived. We have the memories of these cars from when they were first introduced. The U.S. is the birth place of car culture, and always will be. Other countries cannot duplicate what we grow up with, and have an abundance of. The patriotism, camaraderie, and bonds that these vehicles inspire within us, is part of the fabric of this great country. God bless the USA.

1 Like

Don’t forget to include an American flag in your glovebox. Who knows, your next big trip might be to muscle car Sweedishpolooza

A friend sold his 36 Ford 3 Window to a club member in Sweden. After some remedial work here, it was put in a container. Customs had to inspect it. This was an historic, A Brothers painted car built in 1959-60.Very low mileage, custom interior, early SBC and many period details. Some moron from Customs UN-clamped the hold downs on the front of the car and it bounced all of the way to Sweden, breaking the hoo

d ornament/hold down and smashing the pristine grille on the bottom. Customs said no problem, we’ll pay for it. Good Luck! Try and find a pristine, 58 year old grille, anywhere!
Not sure what the better way to ship would be, but this was a small travesty for a car that had been so well cared for 40+ years!

I had my 1963 Lincoln Continental Convertible listed on a national website for several months. Finally a gentleman from Australia purchased it. I hated to see it leave the US but was happy someone was willing to pay what it was worth.

And in the US a growing business is importing Japanese cars after the 25? year threshold. So does that mean we’ll be able to import pristine low mile early Tacomas soon? In a few years I’d like a double cab 4x4 limited, in black… please…

Don’t let your classic leave the country. A piece of our automotive culture and heritage will leave with it.

1300 seems crazy low for a shared container! in fact unbelievably low… I shipped one car this way and it was 2000euros PLUS a bunch of ridiculous cleaning and other fees at destination port.

would love to see 1300 all in container shipping but… :slight_smile:

My wife and I went to the Sweden Power Big Meet a couple years ago. Great fun, thousands of real enthusiasts enjoying their drivers without the US snark found at every Corvette show.

Im considering selling a Corvette now and would be fine if an overseas buyer wrote me a check.

Yep, lots of people want to tell you where you can sell your car, but are pretty quiet when the time comes for them to put up the money you are losing.

Bullitt, I long for for those days too, but they are over. Kids nowadays have abandoned our car culture for cell phone and kale.

1 Like

$1300 and I wish, landed here in NZ my average to date including freight from east coast to LA, shipping to Auckland, customs plus GST & cleaning run in around $9300 per vehicle

Sgvette, I would beg to differ. There is a huge contingent that purchase new Mustangs Camaros and Challengers, many of those buyers are millennials as well as every other generation. Guess what they all want to go with their new muscle car? Thats right an original muscle car. This is happening all over the US. Thats why the culture continues on, that all originates here. Only copied over seas

Australia is almost a no go for imports at the moment. Our government has a zero tolerance policy of asbestos and to enforce it they are tearing into cars being imported searching for asbestos.
They have done some serious damage to nice cars and are costing importers a fortune.
There are many thousands of old vehicles driving around in Australia and many houses constructed with asbestos sheeting but they seem to think that picking on old car imports will have some effect. Go figure!

Why would you say that? Just curious.

I am aware of a couple of my vehicles leaving the country. The first was a 1957 Ford Retractable that I sold many years ago through Hemmings to a buyer in Japan. The most recent one was a couple of years ago to a buyer in Belgium. I had listed it on Craigslist and a local buyer purchased it the next day. It was a 1972 Ford Ranchero GT. I learned from a mutual friend that he had bought it for a collector in Belgium. Apparently it became a big hit there because most people there had never seen one.