Hagerty.com

Europeans are buying American classic cars by the boatload

We shall see. No point in speculating unless you are a speculator.

Good luck making a car that that captures CO2.

1 Like

We visited Sweden in 2007 and after dinner at a restaurant in Malmo, my husband had a cigarette break in the lounge. He found the chef also taking a break and somehow the conversation turned to old cars. Wouldn’t you know he had a Mopar and brought out his Mopar jacket! He was a bit envious when my husband told him we had just finished restoring our 1967 Charger and we were original owners. Later, we stopped at magazine rack and I found a car mag with a white 1966 Charger on the cover. The Swede had bought from Canada and was also restoring. I bought the mag and display it at every show we take our car. Good times!

Sweden has always been a haven for American cars, drag racing was popular from the early sixties and post war American culture and fashion played a part too. This interest was fuelled in the mid seventies by power magazine and its annual Power meet in July, a popular mid-summer American car show. Interest created demand and import companies started importing popular models and rare stuff too. This was when Stateside prices were cheap for twenty year old used cars etc… The formation of clubs and the love of cruising and car culture blossomed over the years to what we have today. They have a real passion in restoration and enjoying this great hobbie of mid-century Americana. A similar thing happened here in Britain through rock music and fashion, American cars were popular in post war Britain, Buick and Cadillac especially. The Ford Mustang
Was a big hit with the Chelsea set and many were seen on the roads of London in the Sixties. A craze for Mustangs in the early Seventies died out with the 1974 fuel crisis. Later a few importation companies saw a gap in the market and started importing Fifties American cars in the mid-Eighties, about ten years later than Sweden. Today both countries enjoy this great hobbie of restoration and driving the American Dream.

1 Like

Keith, I have a beautiful 1964 Malibu Chevelle SS convertible. Will be moving to Florida at some point. Would love to get a Hagerty Value for this car. I have 40 to 60 pics. Car’s in Excellent condition
Can you share where I should go to list this car?
Look forward to your reply,
Jim

Nice ElCamino. Can you send me some info on the Buyer? I have a Excellent condition 1964 Chevelle SS convertible. Moving to Florida at some point, will need to sell this Classic. Thanks, Jim

IMO when it comes to boring, dull generic cars, most asian cars fall in that category, nowadays with the exception of FCA that makes plastic useless bricks, FORD, have been making really beautiful designs and cars, trucks as well, mostly since the last decade. Maybe your opinion comes from a 1990’s mindset. Not even some europeans make beautiful cars anymore like back before 1990, and they are also competing on the uglier SUV contest…

The younger generation has a different idea on what they prefer their vehicles to look like and that’s fine as they are the major auto buying public and the manufacturers will cater to them as that’s where the money is.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

IMO, Autos in the 50’s, 60’s and into the early 70s were the high light of design excellence and cars of that era are bringing big bucks.

Just check the auction prices for these beauties and also the many restoration businesses that have risen to restore those cars of yesteryear.

Even the plain Jane First Generation Mustang’s, Camaro’s, Barracuda’s or that ever loving Dodge Hemi Charger will live in the hearts of true auto lovers forever.

I know it will me as my garage is graced with two of these beauties.

1 Like

Really? such as which ones exactly?

We all love classics but the only ones promoting fosil fuels are those who give a dam thing on the Earth, and there is so much corruption involved on that, I bet there are many alternatives to fuel but again, the fuel industry and it’s magnate moguls is super billionaire and they will do whatever they can to keep ruining the planet at the expense of the existent alternatives, don’t get me wrong, I will love owning muscle cars and classics forever, but things have to change.

I know old diesels can be converted to grease-l. Besides the obvious odors of fried food emanating from the exhaust, I have read nothing about the science behind what else could possibly be unpleasant or dangerous from such a converted diesel.

But, you could be right, perhaps a miracle formula will develop to continue the ice as a fixture in the modern world.

And, to be honest, I’d rather have a classic ensconced at a museum or a high school auto shop class than rusting away neglected or being crushed somewhere.

Kyle

Seconding this question!

When I bought my split window in 2013, I constantly heard about cars I’d looked at winding up in Germany. I have a 1969 roadster I’d like to sell to Europe but I’ve never been able to get anyone to answer the question, how do we sell there?

Went to Sweden a couple years ago to The Big Power Meet… massive US car show. Awesome.

I read somewhere that a well-known auto designer said that in his opinion the single best year for automotive design across multiple brands was 1941. Looking at models from that year seems to confirm it for me. What is your opinion?

1941 was also a great year for automobile design as well as the 1930’s

One example was the 1932 Ford with that forever famous radiator shell that will live forever.

Even the 1920’s was an interesting era where many designs of that time emerged in automobile designs in the 40’s and 50’s and beyond.

And don’t forget, electric cars are nothing new either.

1 Like

Hi Radeeoh, As for the 1930’s, I own a 1936 Ford 4-door convertible that I believe had an outstanding design. See picture below. What do you think?

Jim La Marca

1 Like

Very nice.

My first car was a1935 Ford 5 window coupe.

I love those flat heads.

So simple and easy to work on.

I blew the original engine and installed a 48 Mercury flat head with twin Stromberg 97’s.

It really moved in its day.