Hagerty.com

Everything we know about the mid-engine Corvette C8

There’s only a week between us and the long-awaited advent of the Corvette C8.

We’ve strained our eyes over spy photos and teaser videos, imagined the dozens of digital renders rolling into our driveways, and gasped as the mid-engine rumors morphed into reality.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/07/11/everything-we-know-about-the-mid-engine-corvette-c8
1 Like

Couldn’t care less about the unveiling of the “Non-Vette.”

3 Likes

It’s come a long way since 1953.

1 Like

I am pretty excited to see the new C8. I plan to upgrade my 2,000 mile C7 Z06 Coupe to the C8 Z06 Convertible equivalent. It will look great parked right next to my 488 Spider.

Hagerty needs to get its story straight. A couple
Months ago the release was going to be delayed due to ALL the test cars breaking rear windows due to chassis flex. Then published rumors of yanking the V8 for a less violent V6.
Frankly I don’t think GM quite has the know how on V6 like Ford but maybe. Before I would even consider this car in the stable it would be many model years in sounds like the first offering is a scramble of BandAid fixes to make a release date not build the best car.

It’s still not a Ferrari, Lamborghini or McLaren, but it will be a nice car for the money.

I could see one in my garage, perhaps.
I’ll have to check it out when my neighbor takes delivery.

Great idea, now if they still didn’t have a pushrod lump engine right straight out of “Back to the Future”! As I said many times, I would not have wasted one dime of the taxpayers $ keeping “government motors” in business!

I’m excited to see this new car finally on the way. Die hard Corvette enthusiasts who do not like this new car I can understand. What I don’t understand is how anyone can think the Corvettes can remain competitive with the same old tired technology and design year after year after year. I am as excited about this new car as I was about the radical design change of the C5 over the C4. But that was a long time ago. As I watch the IMSA, I am constantly reminded of the Corvettes falling farther and farther behind, although I am continually impressed with how they have remained competitive for so long. I think that the Corvette Racing Program is one of the best in the world, without doubt. Now they will have the car that they can really develop well into the future. Everything has been wrung out of the C7R. Time to move on to new and exciting times for Corvette!

The last 3 versions of the Corvette were mild updates. Having owned two of them I was afraid the Corvette was going in the direction of the Porsche 911. The 911 is a great car (I had an '03) but it is stuck with that engine hanging out over the rear wheels. The C8 will be a revolutionary, not evolutionary, move forward. I will join the queue to get one.

Biggest problem I have beside the higher cost is mid engine cars have no luggage space for weekend trips but if you can afford that much for a car I guess you can ship your luggage. I will stay with a more practical design.

It will take GM several years to bring this version up to its potential but there will always be Corvette people ( like Harley people ) who will buy any old POS that is offered because, well, because that’s who they are.

Actually I believe the PRV engine in the DeLorean was a SOHC. A DOHC version of that same engine type still holds the “Top Speed” record at Le Mans set over 30 years ago. 253mph.
All without the 1.21 gigawatt flux capacitor hybrid adding 1,600,000hp.

Just can’t believe the writer said it has 2 trunks. Obviously not a car enthusiast, the x2 means press twice to activate the option in this case the trunk.

Who cares. Another 70K + car that most do not want. M2C

I own a 2015 C7, my first Corvette after driving TVRs for both racing and road use, across most of Europe. My 1989 Tuscan Challenge racecar, made road legal in 1990, was the fastest convertible road car in Europe for many years- I got off a 188mph speeding ticket in Belgium with it- just the once! Completely stock, the Vette has 400 HP at the rear wheels (measured on a Dyno), meaning 500 at the crank, from an “Old pushrod” which GM claimed only 460 HP for. It is way more car than most owners of them will ever be competent to explore- mine saw 193mph on the Speedometer several times prior to fitting a ZO6 stage 3 rear spoiler, which in truth, the car should have had to start with (high speed cornering is now 25 to 30MPH faster). The car will still hit 170- enough to get any owner a long stay at the nearest State Window Bar Hotel should they so wish!
I did some critical, but of course, undisclosable work on the C8, and Im sure for Die-Hards, the move to an already crowded market place, the mid-engined sector, breaks with tradition, but as several have already commented, to remain competitive in racing, Corvette has to go this way, and times move on.
I applaud all the manufacturers who bring us Sports Cars in a World that is rapidly turning to Cancer causing (Yes, they do!) electric, largely pig ugly, self- driving supposed Eco-boxes, and I despise the idiots that crowd the roads with them, while they relax and text crap on social media. Sports car lovers should set aside their (many mis-guided) ideas/theories as to why their chosen brand/make /model is so much better than the rest, and simply recognize there are myriad reasons why each and every Sports Car out there, including the new C8 is there for their potential enjoyment; many cannot afford a C8 for sure (I cannot afford a real Porsche 917, so I built one from scratch), but they sure as heck can enjoy seeing them on the road and the racetrack, where as competitors, they will challenge the other guys to build an even better Ford GT/Porsche GT2/ Mc Laren etc.etc. Likely there will be some issues with the early C8s ( isnt there a saying about never buying a first model year car ?, of any make!), but every maker out there has recalls that often go back decades, and we are so used to hearing them, we barely notice a recall notice today. I would encourage everyone out there that likes real cars to give the new generation of Vettes a chance to show their capabilities and learn to respect them, faults and all, just like you would your children.

1 Like

Of course, if you took the time to look at the fob, you would see TWO separate buttons. One for the rear access and one for the front.

Your correct one for front hood one for rear trunk. Still not 2 trunks.

@convoyhank - We are excited to get the story straight, and that has been the challenge this far. Almost everything any outlet (including us) has published in the lead up to next week has been rumors and overhearings. So yes, the story has changed, but each time that story included a caveat that we really didn’t know what the truth was going to be.

In five days we will know though, and as soon as we have the hard truth from a Chevrolet source—you’ll know.

Now it looks just like all the other performance cars out there.
I preferred it’s old school in your face long front hood “cool” look.
Set it apart from the crowd.
Thank goodness I still have my 427BB C2 roaster with it’s factory four speed and side pipes.
For me, It’s all about the “visceral experience”, and in that, my old girl excels…

I, unlike a few of the “buzz-killers” that decided to voice their dislike of the new Corvette or General Motors, I,… like most of you, can’t wait to see the next Gen version of the C8. I think the bang for the buck is hard to dispute. All the Euro competition is well over $100K, and FYI…most of them do not have space for luggage. I think that is why they call them “Sports Cars”. If someone needs luggage space, buy a coupe or sedan with a real trunk, don’t be bummed that the Corvette is not a luggage carrier.

1 Like