Hagerty.com

Exhausting work: How to fix those noisy pipes

Exhausts haven’t changed all that much since Étienne Lenior’s first internal combustion contraption clattered down the street causing oldsters to wave their canes and yell “TURN THAT THING DOWN!”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/10/17/fix-noisy-pipes

Good article. I love this paragraph and I have the scars:

“So… you fix it. Exhaust work is a slam-dunk, do-it-yourself repair. You usually look at the cost of an OEM exhaust from the dealer and say, “Well, I’m not going to pay that,” and instead select an aftermarket exhaust system with sound and performance characteristics to your liking for much less. You get to be a real man, lying beneath your car for hours, swearing like a sailor with rope burns, rust falling in your eyes, and jagged metal severing skin and threatening to take out your tendons—just livin’ the dream. Then you hang the replacement exhaust yourself and save several Benjamins in the process.”

Not to step on toes and this is not a spam…I had constant leaks at the flanges. The flared pipes were in decent condition however every time i flatten the bent flanges and replace the gasket it would still leak (and wrap at the flanges). Every aftermarket fix did little to reinforce the section between the bolt sites on the flanges. Failing too many inspections for the same problem was intolerable. I went into my basement cut and welded and grinned something that kept the flanges flat. I called it a C Flange Bracket because I didnt have to cut my exhaust to install it. It installed on top of the existing wrapped flange after it was flattened and it didnt leak. Check it out. Please comment.C%20flange%20bracket%20installed%20w%20flange

I forgot to add. It can be installed with the old flange removed Also, a 2nd C Flange Bracket can be install on the adjoining flange sandwiching the compromised old flange connection. Longer bolt set is all thats different.