Hagerty.com

Factory Super Stock Car Returns Home 48 Years Later

From 1961-64 my dad, Fred Sanders, worked at Al Roberts Plymouth in Garden Grove, CA. When Plymouth released a limited number of 413 Max Wedge cars built for super stock drag racing he was given one to race for the dealership. It was soon followed by two 426 Max Wedge equipped 1963 Plymouths, a Savoy and a Belvedere. He had some success with the trio of dealer owned and sponsored cars. Later in the 1963 model year he purchased a new 1963 Plymouth Savoy with a 13.5:1 compression 426 for himself. He raced the car throughout the rest of the sixties, winning local, regional, and even scoring class wins at a couple of national events before my mom had two strokes in 1969. With a lot of medical bills and several years of recovery for her ahead, my dad had to sell his super stock Plymouth. It was raced for a few more years by two different owners, then purchased by a collector in the late seventies. I lost track of the car’s whereabouts from the early eighties until early 2014. At that time I was contacted by the car’s most recent owner, who was told that I was the son of the original owner who raced the car in the sixties (As a direct result of my growing up in my pre driving years with my dad racing the Plymouth I developed a love for super stock Mopars and drag racing so by my late teens began racing a '64 Dodge 426 in stock classes at NHRA events. Some of the Plymouth’s latest owner knew of me and my Dodge, which led to his contacting me for more information on the Plymouth he had recently purchased). Sharing common interests, we became long distance friends. In 2017 he found an original '68 Dart Hemi super stocker (1 of 70) that he wanted to buy, so he offered the Plymouth to me. I bought the car and had it shipped from Montana back to my home in Southern California, where it now shares space with the '64 Dodge that my dad helped me build and race for two years until he died at 50 in 1976. The Plymouth still has its original sheet metal, interior, glass, trim, etc. Its very thin (and fragile) aluminum front end (1 of 50) is flawless, as is the rest of the car. It was retired from racing before it was cut up or butchered in any way. Always having been kept indoors by caring owners, it has never had a spec of rust anywhere inside or outside. All of my family has passed on. Having my dad’s Plymouth back with the Dodge he helped me with decades ago is pretty special for me. Hopefully others will enjoy the story.

1 Like

These kind of stories will never be repeated with todays cars.

1 Like

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like