Hagerty.com

Finding a clean, low-mile Honda CRX Si costs more than you think

The Honda CRX Si is a brilliant little car- endowed with almost no power and a scant curb weight to match. Sold in the U.S. from 1985–91, the Si variant of the CRX featured a 1.5-liter, fuel-injected four-cylinder paired with a slick five-speed manual transmission. Because of the stupid-low curb weight (barely over 2000 pounds, in most cases), the car was lithe and buzzy, and it rapidly became a staple at local autocross events and then larger SCCA events across America.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/10/03/a-clean-low-mile-honda-crx-si-costs-more-than-you-think
1 Like

The complex as a screwdriver remark is slightly off. The engine had variable valve timing, one of the early cars to have that. This did result in eating some valve train parts too soon on early models e.g. my 88, but that was repairable by a DYI person. It was fast for it’s engine size and once you got used to the front wheel drive my lap times around Lime Rock were the same as for my 66 E-Type.

I got the first CRX Si delevered in Florida in 1985. It was the most fun per dollar of any car I’ve ever driven. I had read an article about them in Road & Track and put down a deposit and got a written contract at the dealer 4 months before they began importing them. They didn’t know what the car was and I got it for $500 more than the base model. The dealer got $2500 premiums for all they could sell after that. Unfortunately in 1987 an F-150 decided to knock me off the road in a hit & run and the collision totaled the little, black rice rocket. The Integra I bought to replace it never had the feel, agility or performance even after I dropped in a JDM engine.

Bought a red nos Si for $1,800 in 2015. Computer conked out in a few hours. Been running good after several Ebay/Rock replacements.

1 Like

Does this mean Hagerty is finally going to add the CRX to their price guide?

2 Likes

Veering a bit, but I’ll cry the day my '92 Civic VX dies. It sports 250k miles on the untouched engine, but still gets me 40 mpg city and 50+ mpg highway. The VX had the lightest curb weight available in '92 (~200 lbs below the CX) and some aero enhancements, light alloy wheels, no power steering, no cruise control, a special D15Z1 VTEC-E engine, and hatchback guise only. It was EPA rated 48/55 mpg with the 5-speed manual (later revised to 39/49 which is what I still get!) It runs circles around my '59 Porsche 356 - nimble and keeps up with traffic anywhere. And I smile at the gas pump!

They have been added already. At least the Si versions. Enjoy!

1987–1991 really is “peak Honda” when it comes to the overall build, fun, price, and reliability experience when taken in combination. Because Honda has so gotten away from that formula is one of the main reasons cars like the CRX and Prelude have become so prized, especially in original, low-mileage form. More than the visual experience, it’s really all about the driving experience when it comes to these cars. I have a low mileage (39k), all original, 1991 Prelude Si 4WS model in New Formula Red that is an absolute pleasure to drive, with the extra “wow” factor of the fun 4WS that really comes alive in low speed maneuvers. Unfortunately it’s not a 5 speed, but that is really my ONLY complaint about this wonderful car. And yes, it is actually for sale.

I have been through numerous CRX over the years. I started in 1988 with an 85 Si and followed it up with about a dozen second-gen models, selling my last one about 9 years ago and still kicking myself. Another one is on the list and will be in the garage soon. I remember back when doing a ZC swap in about '96 talking with a friend in OK, about how he was buying up CRX parts from dealerships as they offloaded old parts. He knew these cars would collectible and I agreed. I have written and discussed this for a decade and like the muscle car, the hot imports of the '90s, well their time has come.

@pruimerman actually the CRX never carried variable valve timing from the factory (in US guise). The NSX debuted the VTEC system in 1990, quickly followed by the non-US CRX SiR.

I would rather have a Honda del Sol, personally.

My oldest daughter purchased a low mileage '91 CRX Si in 1993; loved it. She drove it for 15 years, then sold it to her brother who then passed it on to me in 2011. It was always well maintained, the engine and transmission had never need to be opened up. I put a lot of time and money into improving it after I bought it, adding air conditioning, new suspension and etc. One of the best cars I’ve ever owned, hands down. Great performance and handling, and 40 mpg to boot.

It was totaled in June of 2018 when another driver made a left turn across traffic into me. Had a fairly contentious fight with his insurance company over the value of the CRX… centering over the fact they only offered me what it was “worth” and not what it would take to replace it with another one of equal condition. Finally settled the claim just so I could move on.

Still miss that little car and still have a few boxes of new parts for it in the garage. It’s great to see that they are finally getting the recognition they deserve.