Hagerty.com

Ford Mustang: Greatest car of the 1960s

As Classic Car Appreciation Day (July 13) approaches, we’ll be counting down each day with the greatest vehicle of each decade, from the earliest days of the automobile to the present. It’s by no means a final, definitive, for-all-time list, so please weigh in—respectfully—in the Forums with your comments, endorsements, and disagreements. Today: the 1960s.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/07/07/ford-mustang-greatest-car-of-1960s

I have a '66 Mustang hardtop, bought new by my grandparents; Vintage burgundy/black, 289. Certainly a very significant vehicle, but the greatest nod should probably go to the Jaguar XKE I think, or maybe the Corvette Sting Ray.

Over the past 50 years I have owned a 67 Camaro, own now, for over 33 years, a 67 Jaguar XKE Roadster along with 45 other classic cars, all built before 1976. I admit to owning some 8+ Mustangs built between 64 1/2 and 73, made up of all different models, mainly convertibles.
As someone who has owned several of what can be considered great cars of the 60’s, I have to vote for a car with true sports car spirit and style, that was affordable for hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts, the Ford Mustang. It has to be in the top two of the greatest cars of the 60’s. The public has already voted.Voted, not by present day readers of a great site or magazine but by votes cast by the number of car lovers, who actually laid out their hard earned money, bought in the 60’s and the many who own the cars today. That makes the Ford Mustang, the only car to be considered the “Greatest Car of the 1960’s”

I couldn’t agree more ! I’ve owned mine for 20 years and it look very similar to the one in the article !! Love the car and wouldn’t trade it for the world

I ordered my 1965 Mustang in October 1964 and took delivery on January 8, 1965 and I still have it. Guess you could say I have enjoyed owning and driving the car since I have kept it this long. I ordered it with the 289, 225 HP motor, 4 speed, tinted windows, air conditioner, two-speed windshield wipers and washer, AM Radio (there was only one FM station in San Antonio and it was a classical station not worth another $8 for the FM), white sidewall tires (7.95 x 14), chrome hubcaps and in vintage burgundy color. I also have the original window sticker and purchase agreement. It only has 149,000 miles which I think is low mileage for 53 years. My wife drove it to work (5 miles) for several years and we enjoyed it on weekends. It depreciated down to like $500 and decided to keep it for a 3rd car when we bought a 1969 Ford LTD. It was a fun car to drive so we kept it. A few years later noticed the value was actually starting to go up and it has continued to go up. A few years ago I was waxing it and started noticing a strange color appearing. After close inspection, I realized it was primer paint. I had actually wax all the paint of the car. Glad to say the old Mustang is now undergoing a full top to bottom restoration. During all these years I have had 28 street rods and race cars so I have been able to accumulate the skills to do much of the work myself. Looking forward to having look like it did on January 8, 1965.

I have been a Mustang owner since the 70’s. Bought an A code 4 speed vert for $1,500 about 1974 and another 389 2-V auto for $800 and put in the barn, lol. When I heard they were changing the Mustang for 1974 I went to our local dealer and ordered a 1973 Mach 1 with 32 factory installed options. So far the most on any Mustang. I still have in the barn also with a little over 12,000 miles.
I have three of the Towne Top removable hard tops for the 19641/2 - 1967 Mustang. Not made by Ford but Ford dealers did sell them as one of mine came from TASCA Ford in R.I. when new. I have 12 Mustangs total. I was an automotive product, process and tooling engineer for years. When you compare the sheet metal in a Mustang to any GM or Chrysler product you will see much better quality and design.

Without the Ford Mustang what might the car world look like? The Mustang started something fantastic and I’ve always loved how cool the first-generation Mustangs looked. My favorite, of course, is the 1965 and I’ve always loved convertibles so the 1965 Mustang Convertible is perfect for me.
It’s amazing that the original Mustangs are still around today. Most have been restored from the frame up – opps, the unibody up, and they look like they did when they rolled off the production line over 50 years ago. My 1965 Mustang Convertible was all original when I bought her a few years back. I’ve replaced the interior upholstery and carpeting but didn’t add anything that wasn’t on her when she rolled off the Dearborn production line June 16, 1965. Other than the upholstery and carpeting the interior is original and the exterior is all original, paint chips and all. She’s the perfect driver.
It’s a joy to jump into a 1965 Mustang, without the bells & whistles of today’s automobiles, and enjoy the ride more than I do when driving a 2018 automobile. I cannot imagine what the world would look like without the Ford Mustang.

The greatest car of the 60’s is the Mustang for the simple reason that Ford bought a “sports car” to the regular guy/girl. Is the XKE a better, faster, sportier car, yes. Was it affordable to most, no. Corvette, give me a break, great car, not much space and really expensive for a guy making the annual average wage in 1965. Mustang wins hands down. Just for the record, ordered our 1967 convertible after out 1965 was not worth keeping. Another point about the Mustangs, they were a “throw away car”. Done with it, get rid of it. You did not throw away XKE’s. At any rate, the 67 is still in my garage. Sister had it for 30 years or so, but it is back home.

I have a 66 Mustang coupe, 289 2 bbl, auto and power. It shares the garage with a 69 Jaguar XKE OTS, a 69 Ford Bronco (which my father in law bought new and my wife drove during high school and college) and a 92 Mazda Miata that same said wife bought new. I love them all. Recently I was enjoying an adult beverage in my garage while pondering them and realized all were watershed vehicles in automotive design. No one is more important than the other. Each brought elements that shaped automotive future. I love them all. That said, the Jag really floats my boat with its sensory overload and the Miata will still be around when we are all said and gone

I’ve owned my 1966 Mustang GT for 39 years and I’m not getting rid of it anytime soon. Love my Mustang!!!

My 1965 Fastback I’ve owned for 22 years and counting ! love it will never sell it.