Hagerty.com

Ford v Ferrari trailer makes us more hyped than ever for November

The first official trailer has dropped for 20th Century Fox's Ford v Ferrari, set to open on November 15, six long months away. Every now and then, Hollywood decides to make a movie about fast cars that isn't furiously cartoonish, and when that happens, car guys and gals get practically Pavlovian in their anticipation. It happened with Ron Howard's Rush, and now car enthusiasts are salivating for Ford v Ferrari. From the looks of the trailer, the film may very well slake their hunger.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/06/03/ford-v-ferrari-movie-trailer

Read the book last year, followed the actual races when in my teens over 50 yrs ago.
It will be interesting to see how they bring out the personalities of a Shelby, Miles and Ford. Ken Miles was such a force in the development Shelby’s race cars, had an epic race at LeMans when the Ford toppled the Ferrari domination, and was “cheated” from recognition as first place finisher. He later died in a Ford GT.

Ken Miles is not dead. He is living in Wisconsin I bepleive. Very crippled,but still a very good driver. There is an article about him with picture on the internet

Matt Damon as Shelby? I am so underwhelmed. Disappointed as well. Bale looks more like Shelby.

A list actor playing Shelby. Sounds like sound casting to me.

Too bad Hollywood decided to trash Ford and Henry Ford II. Show us what really happened and spare us the BS drama. This is a movie I won’t waste my time watching.

Read the book, then you would be able to better judge who was trashed in the manner that Ken Miles was “robbed” from being awarded a first place finish because of a ruling on a technicality and the insistence of Ford that the 3 GT all cross the finish line together. … in the closing hours of the race I recall he had trashed all the Ferraris and leading the second place GT by two laps before the big guys insisted that slow down so that 3 Fords could all cross the line on the same lap and same time, so that they could use that spectacle for publicity purposes.

I read the book a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely. I’m a true blue Ford guy but it’s a great story even if you are not, and you don’t need to be a race fan either. I certainly plan to see the movie, but sure hope it is true to the book and to history.

“‘This is much more of a relationship movie and less a historical document’, Mangold told Entertainment Weekly”. Don’t say you haven"t been warned. Personally I liked “Walk The Line” and am looking forward to this one. Of course I like British rom-coms so don’t go by me.

1 Like

Carroll Shelby was a rough and ready no holds barred do it my way kind of racer and builder and I just don’t see Matt Damon pulling that off.
Most of these docufarce movies just can’t pull off the real drama of hope leading to expectation and culmination in hard fought success kind of real life stories. You just can’t do it justice in 1.5 to 2 hours.

Sadly I sold my beautiful 64 corvette to the car guru that found all the cars for this movie. First thing I was told after restoring the car for 2 years to as original as I could, was that they would likely paint the car, strip it, number it, and change the Mayer Hayes wheels I had just finished restoring. Oh well, I am looking forward to seeing it in action. (I tried to make it a condition of the sale that I drive the car in the movie, he told me frankly, I was too old.) Lol

I am wondering if this movie will move the value of the 2005 and 2006 GT ?

I’m hoping it will make those years more popular. Either way, I’m excited to see the movie.