Hagerty.com

Gearheads can still enjoy the Tesla Model 3

Three thousand miles ago, my wife and I purchased a Dual Motor Long Range Tesla Model 3. It is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Now listen, I’m not some millennial who upgraded from a Prius, but a lifelong, consummate gearhead. My last five daily drivers consisted of two John Cooper Works Minis and every modern iteration of Z06 Corvette. All manual. All modified. My father had a 71 Vega that ran a blown 454 40 over pushing about a thousand horsepower. Legal risk aside I prowled the streets with it, drag slicks screeching, parachute ready.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/03/14/gearheads-enjoy-tesla-model-3

I’ve heard from several people that working on Tesla is not an easy thing since they are not open to allowing DIY easily to get parts and technical information and support everything has to be done by them.

Good luck to you if you get into a fender bender too. The body shop has to be "Tesla certified " and even then it’ll take months to get parts. Your insurance rental car will expire before the work is done.

Musk is a publicity stuntman and is running out of tricks to pull.The future may be electric, but that doesn’t mean Tesla will be part if it. The other manufacturers will eat them alive while Tesla runs out of cash.

Thanks for an insightful article. As a life-long Mustang owner (including a '68 hardtop and 2015 retro) I was very hesitant to consider a Tesla, but my Model S is by far the best car I have ever owned or driven. And it looks great in my garage next to my '56 Ford.

I encourage all doubters to take a test drive. You’ll never look at internal combustion vehicles in the same manner. Happy driving!.

I’ll second everything Gene said, expect for the dislike of the Tesla Model S. Two and half years ago when the lease was up on my previous daily driver, I decided to buy a Tesla Model S. I needed to buy then, and couldn’t wait for the Model 3 to arrive. I don’t regret it for a minute. And I still have my gas breathing classics for weekend fun (both wrenching and driving).

And to the naysayers who complain about being able to work on the Tesla, I’ve put almost 44k miles on mine, and the only maintenance required has been new tires. And regarding the body repair, I think you’ll find similar results with any aluminum bodied car like the Model S/X (which incidentally doesn’t apply to the steel bodied Model 3).