Hagerty.com

Getting rid of rumbles, vibrations, and whines

There are good car noises and bad car noises. Earlier this year, I wrote a two-part series about de-rattling and de-clunking your car. This time around, I’d like to augment that by talking about de-rumbling a car.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/10/01/getting-rid-of-rumbles-vibrations-whines

Scanned the earlier articles and I may have missed it, But thought I’d add that occasionally owners will replace rubber bushings and engine mounts with aftermarket poly versions. While more durable and and preferred for track time, they’re almost always stiffer and just as certain to transmit more NVH than OEM. Occasionally you’ll even discover a previous owner replaced oil-filled bushings with high durometer poly or even solid aluminum. Those usually are really easy to find because of the noise. Ask me how I know.

For a few months, I have been trying to track down a light vibration between 65mph and 72mph on my 1985 Mercedes 300SD. I went through a lot of the steps pointed out in this article. The solution turned out to be an out of balance driveshaft. After examining the driveshaft, I noticed that the bolts at the center support became loose from vibration. I re-tightened them and the vibration was still there. I contacted a company in Portand, Oregon called Driveline Services and was going to send my driveshaft out for re-balancing. They recommended getting a refurbished unit and send back my old unit as a core. It was easy plug and play. The car drives so much better now. The vibration is completely gone.