Hagerty.com

Green Book’s 1962 Cadillac DeVille is a star in its own right

Green Book tells the real-life story of celebrated genius pianist Don Shirley, played by Mahershala Ali, who embarks on a lengthy show tour through the South in 1962. Shirley, who is African-American, anticipates he will likely run into some racially-motivated trouble at points throughout his journey, and proactively hires Italian-American tough-guy Tony Vallelonga, played by Viggo Mortenson, as his personal driver. Although polar opposite personalities in just about every way you can imagine, the two men develop a lasting friendship. And the then-new ‘62 Cadillac is what Shirley’s record company provides as the pair’s chariot.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/12/28/green-books-1962-cadillac-deville

Green Book is a great movie (although there appears to be dispute between the producer/writers and Dr. Shirley’s family about veracity of some aspects of the story line).

I noted discrepancies in several scenes with later model year (the movie is set in 1962) makes, including the opening scene (a 1964 model Chevy taxi) and at a fast food shop (a 1964 Falcon).

@clarkdumont.apr - Good eye. I always enjoy catching little errors like that in films, when the cars are wrong only a certain type of person notices- and I guess that type of person is us.