Hagerty.com

Here are 11 of the best-ever wheel designs

What car part is an essential part of a car’s performance, safety, and style? The wheel. Nothing else is so easy to change yet so fundamental to a car’s character. Enthusiasts often change out original equipment wheels for something more suited to their aesthetic taste or particular use case, but sometimes a factory wheel design is so beloved that it transcends one vehicle or model generation. By the same token, there are some aftermarket wheels that became so popular and widely used that they’ve become practically household names (if you live in a gearhead home, anyway).

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/05/01/11-of-the-best-wheel-designs

Cromodoras 5-spoke wheels were, next to Minilites, the wheel that came to my mind. They are to Italian cars what wires (or the above referenced Minilites) are to English cars.

Not a bad list, but I have to add one omission. A wheel that was put on cars from all of the Detroit 3 manufacturers, and looked great on all of them. From Mustangs to Chevelles, Camaros to Chargers, Road Runners and Cudas and Challengers, it didn’t matter - the Magnum 500 looked awesome on all of them. I’ve never seen another wheel that looked that great on so many different cars - except maybe the Crager S/S. And even the modern billet versions of the Magnum 500 in larger sizes look just as great on today’s cars as well.

5 Likes

Weld Draglite belongs on any list of iconic wheels. For Gen X, it was the Torq-Thrust, Cragar S/S and Keystone all rolled into one. Should have been a factory option on Fox and SN Mustangs.

I do not believe that the wheels on the Datsun are MiniLites. They look similar but real MiniLites had larger spoke and a ridge around the perimeter of the center. I ran MiniLites on a couple of cars back in the 80’s and 90’s, I still have two sets of them.

What about including the Ronal “Bear” wheel?
[https://m.rimstyle.com/alloywheels/wheel/ronal_urs_teddy_ss]

2 Likes

Evidently I’ve made a colossal oversight

1 Like

Pontiac 8 Lug wheels are a glaring omission

1 Like

Muira / Espada mag knock offs should be top form f the list, surely.

1 Like

Are the designs for alloy wheels only? Certainly, the Chevrolet Rallye wheels were a classically timeless design.

1 Like

I absolutely agree…the Pontiac 8 lugs were not only great looking the aluminum brake drum facilitated cooling…“back in the day” it was difficult to balance the rim unless you had the adaptor to bolt onto

2 Likes

Totally agree with Slapp15. Here’s to Detroit for those great 60’s steel wheels that finished off the look of those Fords, GM and Chrysler that we loved.
How could they not include the Crager SS. We all had them and for good reason, they simply looked great!

1 Like

I agree 100% the Chevrolet Rally Wheel is the classic…and additionally the 1971 / 72 steel “spoked” wheel that was used on the Chevelle SS and Z28.

3 Likes

50th Anniversary Trans Am?

Another great one is the metric wheel from the early Fox Bodied mustangs.

I am a kid from the 80’s. Cragars scream coolativity.
Although they are cheezy I think I still like them a liitle more than the Americian Raing 5 spokes on my rod.
On the right car nothing is cooler.

1 Like

The Dunlop wheels as used on the Jaguar D-Types and the later ones on the lightweight E-Types surely deserve a place!

Everyone has an opinion and I think those 3 spoke wheels on the Viper are just plain ugly. Thanks for featuring what I consider the best looking STi ever. And thanks for the 240Z photo, I once owned a 76 Z with Mini-lite style wheels and it looked great.

1 Like

Oh I think the best looking wheel ever is the American Racing Torq Thrust. It defined a generation and has transcended to modern cars seamlessly. I put them on every older car I have owned.

PICT0005

3 Likes

I’ve always been partial to the Rallye II’s and I recently got some very nice reproductions from Wheel Vintiques.