Hagerty.com

Here is the difference between conventional and synthetic oil

It’s an age old question: Is there any benefit to running synthetic oil over conventional oil in your engine? I think we can safely say that for the vast majority of internal-combustion engines on the road today, the answer is yes. So just how does the synthetic stuff deliver on its promise of additional protection? Thankfully, the crack team over at Donut Media’s Science Garage provide us the lowdown on the differences between conventional and synthetic motor oil.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/12/11/conventional-vs-synthetic-oil

Synthetic oil withstands higher temperature & has stronger film strength,without breaking down.
I drove a 1986 Olds wagon with 5.0L V8 RWD
512,000 miles having changed to Red Line Synthetic from petroleum oil at 125,000 miles.
At 512,000 miles, engine still running very well, no smoking, very low oil consumption, no wear related noise from engine.
I now use Red Line in our 2005 Buick Century & Royal Purple in our 1998 Ford Ranger.
Would really like to know of an independent lab that tests synthetic oil to find scientific evidence & information about the comparisons among synthetics.
Swen

@marshallswensen - Blackstone labs could likely help you with an A/B test of synthetic vs conventional. You are able to send them oil from your engine and receive analysis that will give you info specific to your situation.

Why does all the huge engine Builders recomend mineral oil for atleast the first 5000 miles?
Some dont recomend syntetic at all!
Akus from Norway

@akus20 - Can’t say why that might be. I know a few who prefer the ZDDP (zinc high pressure additive) that many conventional oils have more for break-in, as it helps keep a flat tappet cam from wiping a cam lobe. The same additives could be purchased separately and added to a synthetic, but why take the extra step when a conventional break-in oil is already formulated and sold.