Hagerty.com

Here is the story of our Redline Rebuild Pontiac 389

Hagerty’s Redline Rebuild series takes the long and time-consuming process of a complete engine overhaul and turns it into a nice and tidy nine-minute video, but that leaves a lot of information on the table that the viewers don’t get to see. Redline Rebuild Explained is the deep dive into everything it took to get this V-8 back to its former glory.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/12/31/pontiac-389-redline-rebuild-explained

I can’t get that song out of my head! Three deuces and a 4 speed… lalala

You guys talked for 80 plus minutes and never addressed the fact that you had 400 heads rather than 389s? Obviously you must’ve known because the valves themselves are different, as well as the placement of the valves relative to the cylinder centerline, which changes the position of the valve reliefs on the pistons, not to mention the big old spacers to allow you to use the 389 valve covers…

“Before starting assembly, Davin stops to answer one of our most asked questions—why paint parts before assembly rather than once it’s all together? The short answer is that it’s easier. The long answer is the finished product is cleaner and more detailed.”
I agree with Davin, it’s cleaner and more detailed! It’s how I do mine!

Good vid but still a bit too much yak about things that were already addressed. Keep to the point and make the vid a bit shorter which I wouldn’t mind at all.

Instead of driving the cylinder sleeve in one can put it on a block of dry ice and it will shrink enough to drop in

Tip for installing Pistons with rings, especially modern very thin rings. There is a barbell shaped Teflon tool available to install Pistons. It is filled with lead shot to deaden its blows. The tool is used to push or hammer Pistons thru a ring compressor into its cylinder. I have found that just repeatedly dropping the tool on the piston from about 3-5" rather than pushing or hammering with it will allow the rings to transition from the ring compressor into the cylinder without breaking or damaging the ring. This tap, tap method allows you to concentrate on keeping the ring compressor in full contact with the block until all of the rings are in the cylinder. I have taught a number of students this method and found it to be almost fool proof. Note, there is always a bigger fool somewhere. The secret again is to just let the weight and impact of the tool to do the work, your hand should not touch the tool until after it has landed on the piston, then just pick it up and drop it again. This method is especially useful when there is very little v shape at the top of the bore and the compression ring is 0.5 mm thick.

My experience shows you need both dry ice and a big hammer or press to install sleeves with 0.003" interference fit.

If anyone is interested I have a 1965 Pontiac GTO convertible for sale with a fresh rebuilt 389

https://classiccars.com/listings/find/1965/pontiac/gto?zip=97027

Be sure and watch the video on the link above
Martin

Try counting how many times Davin says “At the end of the day?”. C’mon Davin, try some different phrases.

Very informative! Ben needs to ratchet down his thoughts though. It seems that every nuance in thought has to be converted into a sentence. Leave the work to Davin, he knows his trade, no need to try to imitate, just shows inexperience and maturity level. Trimming that fat would have saved a good 30 minutes.

The video was a little drawn out,but it brought back fond memories when I worked as a engine machinist,the tear down of a rusted oily dirty engine and bringing it back to life using all your professional skills,