Hagerty.com

Here’s to the V-10, a dying breed of supercar engine

It would be fair to say Germany perfected the wailing flat-six, America the rumbling V-8, and Italians the symphonic V-12, but who owns the title for the title for greatest V-10 engine? As an exceedingly rare engine setup, the isn’t an established “right way” to build one of these monsters. Our picks range from high-revving 4.8-liters all the way up to stump-pulling 8.4-liters. In addition, a handful were clean-sheet designs, while others were derivatives of existing platforms or leftovers from past racing projects. Origin stories aside, the following are our picks for the best production V-10 engines of the modern era.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/07/v-10-dying-breed-supercar-engine

In 2008 I acquired new the last generation of the Viper ragtop…it’s an amazingly fast super car…basically a race car with a license plate…no weird nannies to correct driver errors…it’s easy to get into and most difficult to get out of…the seats are bolstered very high which will not release it’s occupant without effort…at high RPMs the V10 has a roar out the side pipes that is difficult to describe…some say it sounds like 2 UPS trucks at full chorus…I say it sounds like Dodge’s error in dropping the drop top on the last generation Vipers…last generation restricted to a small coupe driver’s window for audio entertainment…it’s a great engine in a well designed sports car that challenges astute drivers…enough said…

Thanks for chiming in - this is by far the best comment I’ve read all day!
And I do agree, the Viper should have always had a drop top option.

Does anyone actually proof read these articles?

@geok86 - Thanks for reading. Is there a correction needed in this article?

The V10 always seemed an oddball to me, kind of like an inline-5, or flat-12. I admit I have never driven one, so cannot really comment on how they drive. I do know that the side-pipe Vipers do sound unpleasant and odd, when hearing only one side-pipe from the outside; however, hearing them from the rear, under heavy acceleration, is impressive. This all being said, I certainly would not turn down a Viper convertible!

Wonder why the Ford V10 truck/van engine didn’t make this list? ;<)

As an exceedingly rare engine setup, the isn’t …

…for use possible use in Formula 1 and …

Gooder English.

Yes, it needs a bit of proofreading.

Interesting article though.

I’ve owned 4 V-10 ford super duties and put over 300k miles on them. A little disappointed that they didn’t make the list although they certainly aren’t classic. Great article

It did say “super car”, not “super duty”. Just wait for your list. It will come. My four-door Mazda RX8 “coupe” didn’t make the four-door “sedan” list, either.

My opinion…if you are going to put an engine, any engine, whether it be V10, V8, V12, or whatever, in an exotic supercar, it better SOUND exotic.

I remember VW offered a V10 diesel in the Touareg for several years. Must have been a torque monster.

Still drive a VW Touareg v10 diesel. 550 ft lbs of torque from memory. Everything on the engine is gear driven,alternator,power steering,AC water pump, not a belt in sight. When first released it was the world’s fastest production diesel. Lovely.

For what it’s worth, I had a V-10 in a 2001 (?) Ford F-250, loved it. I haul firewood and on trips a 9 1/2 ft, Lance truck camper. I bought a new truck in 2015, ooh ooh V-10 only available in F-450 & up. I had to get the 6.2 V-8, same mpg as the V-10, less torque etc. Sometimes you have to wonder where the people making these decisions have their heads stuck!!

about Viper V10: since when Lamborghini (???) —then owned by Chrysler (???)—assisted in the design process? The truth is that Ferrari, whose group CFA owns Chrysler Dodge, Jeep etc. Can you please correct this ridiculous mistake?

@eugenio.miami - Thanks for reading. Chyrsler purchased Lamborghini in 1987 (see some more backround info one of our articles from 2018 here), and Lamborghini subsequently had a part in developing the Viper, which debuted in 1989.

The Fiat Chyrsler partnership did not begin until 2014, and you are correct that Ferrari was a part of the portfolio at the time. Ferrari was spun off to live on its own in 2016 though.