Hagerty.com

Honda wants to sell you new S2000 reproduction parts

When it comes to heritage parts, Japanese manufacturers are leading the way these days. Mazda now offers restoration parts for first-generation Miatas, while Nissan is building RB26 Skyline straight-sixes again, along with roughly eighty more rare R32, R33, and R34 components. Joining the party, Toyota announced it would reproduce parts for its 3rd and 4th-generation Supras, and now Honda has a response of its own—a parts program for the iconic S2000 roadster.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/02/26/honda-wants-to-sell-you-new-s2000-reproduction-parts

I will suggest that they offer new seating and interior surfaces. I have seen a few nice S2000s but the interiors are showing their years–worn seating, armrests, etc., which can make the entire interior look ratty. I’m glad they still produce the body parts though…if I find an S2000, I likely would have to “de-ricer” it and get the ridiculous spoilers and ugly aftermarket body cladding removed.

Glad to see they are still supporting a remarkable ride. I’m on my second one. The first burned up in a garage fire. I was lucky enough to find one with 28000 miles in like new condition. Flew up to get it and drove it 300 miles home. The engineering that went in to that car and they were hand built, would cost a lot more in this day and age. The S2K was a labor of love by the racing division to celebrate 50 years of Honda’s rise from motorized bicycles. A little tip to keep the interior fresh looking. Use a product called 303 Aerospace protection (I don’t sell it) on all interior surfaces and head and tail light covers. It acts as a sun screen, restores the finish and doesn’t look greasy. I also use it on tires because there are no petroleum products involved. Some of the stuff out there will harm your tires over time. Keeps my top looking new as well. People I’ve turned on to this have thanked me. Works on the top too. End of rant!

Add me to the list of those applauding Honda for this decision. There are plenty of others besides myself that would like to see these cars remaining out on the road with the continued passing of the years. It is great to be able to count Honda themselves amongst us. I’ve posted my concerns regarding items that will decay with the passing of time such as various rubber parts and any proprietary electronics that aren’t likely to be recreated otherwise.

I too have been using 303 on my soft top and interior (although not on the leather surfaces) with good success so far. My goal is to keep my S2000 in good shape for as long as possible while still managing to enjoy it out on the road. When the point comes that I can no longer manage to get in and out of my S to take it for a spin I’m hoping I’ll be able to find a new caretaker out there who feels the same way about this car as I do. This program makes that possibility all the more likely. With any luck it will be quite a while before I have to concern myself with such things.

When I can’t get in and out of my S I’ll know I getting long in the tooth. I’m 86 and still leave leave beamers, Porsche’s and vette’s behind on the curves of the Santa Monica mountains. Did have a Ferrari swoop around me on a blind curve. I’m not suicidal. A little tip on the leather. Most cars have a vinyl coating protecting the leather. The way to tell is to put a drop of water on the seat. If it sits as a puddle it’s coated. If it sinks in it’s leather. 303 will not do harm to anything. As for the rubber seals, Honda sells a dressing to keep them supple. It’s a bit pricey but a tube will last damn near forever.
And don’t baby the car. The harder I drive it the better it runs. 200K miles is not uncommon for these cars. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures here I’ll do so.

The rubber dressing that you are referring to sounds like Honda’s Shin-Etsu Grease (which is a silicone grease). I am not clear on how (or if) this grease deviates from the other silicone greases that you can purchase elsewhere, but the Shin-Etsu grease works so amazingly well that I have never bothered to explore other less expensive options.

As for applying 303 to the leather seats goes, I’ll simply pass for now, leaving such use up to the discretion of others. I have no no need to doubt you by the way but my seats still look like new at this point so I’ll happily take stick with what has been working for me to date.

As far as driving the car hard vs babying it goes I am agreement with you. That was never a concern for me after owning multiple Honda motorcycles previous to acquiring a S2000. My wife does appreciate the fact that these cars are willing to be babied, but I much prefer to bring out the healthy beast within hiding out in the upper reaches of the RPM range. What is the point of having a gearbox as good as the one in the S2000 if you are not going to put it to good use as often as you are able? Keeping engines like those that come in the S2000 on the boil is what they were designed for and where the real enjoyment occurs.

[quote=“wanted, post:6, topic:32913”]
Shin-Etsu is what I use. Like you, I don’t shop around because it works and a tube lasts damn near forever. My car is over 20 yrs. old and all original. Sunny California can take a toll on the innards and 303 is a sun block. It’s the only thing I use on tires. If leather conditioner works for you that’s all that matters. Years ago I used to fix up sell motorcycles as a hobby and was impressed by Honda engineering and bang for the buck . The S2000 was a labor of love by the racing division and built by teams rather than assembly line. There are a lot less around due to inexperienced drivers expecting the car to do the driving.