Hagerty.com

How Lee Iacocca and Carroll Shelby changed Detroit

The recently departed Lee Iacocca is best known for his role in bringing Chrysler back from the brink of financial ruin. Car enthusiasts also know him as the father of the Mustang. Though it could be argued that the Mustang wasn't entirely his original idea, and though he had little direct role in its design or engineering (Iacocca was an engineer by training but a salesman by nature and career), Iacocca championed and shepherded the first pony car, understanding that the Baby Boomers reaching driving age wanted something with a youthful image.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/07/12/how-lee-iacocca-and-carroll-shelby-changed-detroit

I saw a trailer for a movie coming out about this very thing
Forget the name of it, but I think they tapped Matt Damon to play Carol Shelby.

Ford v Ferrari is the title. It looks like a great cast.

1 Like

Iacocca’s greatest accomplishment however was to stick an American name badge onto a japanese car and somehow convince people that it was an American car.

I’m looking forward to the movie myself. But Matt Damon playing Shelby? Shelby was a tall lanky Texan with a twang. Damon does not fit that at all.

A much younger Tommy Lee Jones would have been a good fit for Shelby… but I don’t think Hollywood has enough makeup and CGI to make Mr Jones look 35 years old!

Tommy Lee Jones could play an old chicken farmer who encourages Shelby to get out of the chicken business and to get into racing.

1 Like

" Your heart ain’t in the poultry business Carroll, now go and get yourself racin’ ".

The first car I bought after graduating from college in 1990 was a 9000 mile, almost new Shelby Charger GLHS. I paid $7000 for it, and sold it 15 years later with 90K miles for $6500. My wife loved that car.