Hagerty.com

How one man discovered he owned Shinoda’s personal Mustang Boss prototype

Car enthusiasts dream of coming across a “barn find,” spotting a desirable or collectible vehicle that's been stashed away somewhere for years, maybe even forgotten or abandoned. “Barn find,” of course, is a euphemism. Many such finds are located not in literal barns but rather some other kind of storage, like a garage or warehouse.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/05/10/owning-shinodas-personal-mustang-boss-prototype

Got to talk with Larry at Ford Carlisle. We were, of course, in the Boss area on the show field ! He was the same in person as I expected him to be, having read some interviews with him. Wished I could have asked more than one question !

I was passing thru rural Illinois yesterday and stopped at my sister’s house (25 miles from Bloomington) my BIL has several barns and in one he showed me what he had. (Nothing that excite anyone too much but collectible) Anyway he started telling me about his neighbors with barns. He knew about tri year Chevy’s, Old Fords, and a C2 Corvette. So, the cars are still out there.

Interesting piece on Larry. He and I joined GM Design Staff at the same time in1956 and car pooled as neighbors. I worked with him on the mid year Corvettes. Many years later in our careers I was able to get him clearance to import his aftermarket Corvettes into Japan. The name of his tailor and that many other designers of that era was Bob Gwynn on Woodward Ave. in Birmingham Mi. (also Bill Mitchel’s tailor).
Ray Koenig

Another rare piece of automotive history that escaped the crusher! Thank goodness Larry had the foresight to save it. This is a very special Mustang and hopefully will end up preserved for many years to come. Great article and kudos to John Grafelman for bringing her back out into the light for all to see. It’s these stories that interest me most, seeing the men and machines behind the classics we know and love so much.

It’s amazing who is still out there who worked on these historic cars. 1956 was 63 years ago! That puts [rykoenig1] at least 85 years old. And he’s still into cars! That’s a story right there itself.

Thank you Ray for adding to this amazing story and supplying the name of the tailor. I was born in 1956 and have always been a car nut. The designs and mechanicals were always found to be fascinating back then. Been an Oldsmobile enthusiast, but also appreciate all of the muscle cars. When I got my driver license in 1973 there were plenty of used muscle cars to choose from, but mostly drove one of the family cars that were all bought brand new: 1971 442, 1970 Cutlass ‘S’, 1972 Cutlass Supreme, and a 1968 Camaro. When ready, I purchased a 4-speed 1975 Starfire. Looking back, I should had bought the '75 Omega with the Oldsmobile 350 engine in the hatchback version. The 1969 Mustang fastback, especially the Mach 1, was one of the those OMG designs when first seen for incorporating every go fast look into one design. Fascinating how part of the current Shelby styling at the time was melded into the next Mustang redesign up until the 1974 model. The downsized '74 model has some Maverick styling to it - which I did not realize and see until I read about it.

Just got to see this fantastic car at our MCA Northern Star National Mustang show in Minneapolis this last weekend. We were also celebrating the 50 year anniversary of the Boss. Helped load the car into a donor’s trailer to avoid a bad storm last Sunday morning. John is a real friendly guy and easy to talk to. The car is definitely a one of a kind. He was anxious to get home for plantings. Great history info.