Hagerty.com

How to disinfect your car without destroying its interior

It may be a while before we’re detailing our favorite rides in anticipation of a packed cars and coffee gathering, but even folks hunkering down at home under government ordinances need to make grocery runs. Whether you’re headed to Costco in your Chevy C10 or to the pharmacy in your minivan, you’ll want to keep your ride clean. That’s good practice in general, but before you attack leather seats with Lysol wipes or start bleaching your dash to annihilate any trace of coronavirus, take 15 minutes and watch this video.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/03/24/how-to-disinfect-car-without-destroying-interior

They didn’t discuss the use of a commercial quality ozone generator to disinfect the car and the ventilation system. My understanding it can be done in about 15 minutes.

Video unavailable for me.

Good luck finding disinfectants anywhere.

1 Like

Good info for detailing and cleaning your car for Germaphobes. BUT keep in mind viruses don’t survive long outside a human body, only minutes to a couple of days max. Direct sunlight kills viruses in minutes. Even the toughest viruses won’t survive for more than 30 to 45 minutes in sunlight. Ultraviolet light C (UVC) is what kills the bugs. So rather than spend a lot of time cleaning and disinfecting your car with chemical products that may be toxic or damage interior fabrics, just park your vehicle outside for an hour in direct sunlight. Or, park your car for 2 to 3 days. Any virus that may have been present in your vehicle will have died the next time you drive your car. And we are all supposed to be avoind unnecessary travel, right?

I too have seen the use of an Ozone Generator to kill and disinfect Everything in cars. Scotty Kilmer has a YouTube video that you need to watch first. He has over 3 Million Subscribers…

1 Like

Folks might want to use “Tub-o-Towels” available at most auto parts stores. Does a great job cleaning almost all automotive surfaces. Contains glycol so it also likely kills most germs and viruses as well.
I use it to wipe down all sorts of surfaces in both of my classic cars with no issues.

Makes me kinda re-think getting those taco’s from the food truck today :thinking:

I am going to use an ozenator

@avideo2015 please be careful and specific when giving health advice. Glycols refers to an entire family of compounds, some are recognized as disinfectants such as triethylene glycol (TEG), and some are not, such as propylene glycol. Looking at the Tub o towels website just now they make no claim to be a sanitizer or disinfectant.

1 Like

Sorry - not giving out health recommendations. Simply pointing out what one of the major ingredients is.

Contact a locally owned restoration company. They can advise you on how to do it safely without hurting the interior. Ozone will eat the rubber and plastics in the car. Certain chemicals will also leave a residue when trying to obtain the dwell time needed to properly kill the virus. Hydroxyl generators can be used but your not going to have one of those. Ultraviolet light will kill the virus, so basically leave the car in the sun and let it kill the virus for you and after 2 weeks wipe the interior down with an EPA certified chemical capable of killing MERS and SARS if your still worried.

UV radiation in strong doses does kill viruses but sunlight alone won’t do the trick

Just let the car sit until Easter when all will be OK!

COVID-19 has been shown to survive on non-porous surfaces for up to 72-hours. I would venture to guess that a car’s steering wheel is a non-porous surface!