Hagerty.com

How to fix that flat tire with some easy DIY tire plugs

I plugged many a tire at a Mobil station I worked at when I was a kid in the sixties. I think we charged a dollar for the plug and seldom took the wheel off the car.

However, in my 50+ years if driving, I don’t think I’ve ever had a flat on the road. I don’t even carry a spare in my Corvair, just a can of fix a flat.

I have used plugs without the glue and it works fine but they’re easier to insert with the glue acting as a lubricant. Also, if you’re buying a kit, get one with Tee handles as the little screwdriver type handles are much more difficult to grip and twist.

3 Likes

For those of us who run staggered tire sizes, carrying two size spares is not very practical. Therefore a patch kit (and mini compressor) makes a lot of sense to get you going until a proper repair or replacement can be done.

1 Like

Tire plugs are temporary repairs. There are three basic parts of a tire the tread, the belts or carcass, and the inner liner. A plug patch combination is the correct way to repair a tire. The plug is used to fill the hole in the tread and carcass to keep dirt and moisture out of the hole so the belts aren’t damaged. The patch seals the inner liner which acts like an inner tube for a tubless tire. If this liner is not sealed air can escape into the belts causing separation ruining a tire or worst causing a tire to blow out. I have seen plugs inserted into small holes which stopped the air leak at the time but because of the small hole when the reamer was inserted it did not follow the original hole and actually made another hole in the liner. I have also seen plugs inserted that stopped the leak but when the tire was demounted for proper repair it was found to have major damage on the inside. Most tire makes do not allow repairs to a sidewall and a plug only in the tread will void any warranty.

Since we are nit picking, did you mean to say “This is clearly not the case as the plug doesn’t come”, instead of “This us clearly not the case as the plug diesn’t come”?

Devin, I have had to do the plug fix a few times. Unfortunately many people without classics with Laverty do not have a clue they can do a fix like this on the road. By the way love the late model on the lift. Have had 4 corvairs. Nick

VERY DISAPPOINTING VIDEO! Hard to believe a company that sells insurance would support and encourage an unsafe process. I spent 37 years in the Firestone Retail division and retired as a Division President. I then opened 3 tire and auto service centers with my son. NO reputable tire store will plug tires today. We only plugged tires for lawnmowers, tractors and other non highway use tires. An examination of the plug kit box will say for temporary use only. Why? We only did patch plug repairs which required the tire to be removed from the wheel. In many cases we then did not repair the tire because of internal damage that could only be detected when the tire was removed from the wheel. Tires that were run low or flat often had lots of loose rubber inside which made the tire unsafe to repair. On one occasion we found a screwdriver minus the handle inside the tire. Plugs are not a good option and should only be used to get to a reputable tire store for a permanent patch repair.

Been plugging tires since owning my 1976 Ford Fiesta. Never one problem. The patch is just more political correctness gone crazy. Just a way for Firestone to make more money.

It seems most newer vehicles come without a spare sadly, for fuel savings. However, they often come with an air pump. I carry a can of liquid air just in case in all my vehicles, with or with out a spare.

I agree, but the rubber cement actually helps as a lubricant to insert the “bacon rind” plugs with less effort. I’ve used them on car and bike tires, and though eventually I’ll stop in and get the tire dismounted for a plug/patch repair w/spin balance, they sure keep you from walking home. Had to stuff 3-4 bacon rind ones into an actual cut from a piece of metal into an almost new rear 180 tire on my old CBR1000F but it got me the 80 or so miles back home on a Sunday afternoon. Took all 3 cartridges from the kit to get the tire full enough to limp the shoulder to a gas station with an air pump, but a great outcome overall. Just another useful tool, to be used or not, I guess.