Hagerty.com

How to protect your 2012+ Ford from key fob hacking

“Vault-like” doors. “Drives like a tank.” “The damn thing is bullet-proof.”

We talk about our cars as if they’re war machines, ready to shrug off the world’s problems like raindrops rolling off the windshield. The irony is that they’re often insecure. The simplest of tools can find a way through the door jams of every automobile made to date. A mobile castle to us is a trivial puzzle for cyber attackers. “Criminals are getting extremely high-tech,” says Dale “Woody” Wooden, a 20-year Navy veteran and founder/CEO of Weathered Security.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/01/15/protect-your-2012-plus-ford-from-key-fob-hacking

Seems like a ton of effort to go through to get access to a vehicle. Thieves around here just break the glass.

As the article states “recent round of cybersecurity job positions opening up at the Blue Oval”

Funny they’re just now even bothering with this. Two sons of a man I go to church with (in West Virginia, while the sons work at the main office in Dearborn) are both Ford engineers (one of them high-level), and back when this tech was first starting to see use in cars 5-6 years ago during a largely technical discussion (I’m an engineering and math nut), I said to them at a Christmas party “OK, now how are you going to prevent this stuff from getting hacked” (which, from reading it in magazines such as Popular Science, and Popular Mechanics, as a teenage me, was the first think I could think of), to which they replied they were just starting focus on autonomous driving and electric cars were their main focus.

Look at the stories of the recent Toyota-theft ring in Canada. They set up and steal hundreds of one brands’ recently sold cars, buying customs officials and filling up container ships used to replace domestic manufacturing jobs for the return trip with stolen vehicles headed for the middle east, Africa, and central America. This is big business, and anyone who would take away your property rights in the name of the greater good would have no problem profiting from it.

So how close to the vehicle does the hacker need to be in order to gain access with the hack device? I didn’t read that here.