Hagerty.com

How to score a derelict project car from a skeptical stranger

I’m always on the lookout for a project. My eternal hunt for overlooked and underappreciated classics causes me to follow a different route to the grocery store whenever I need a carton of milk, or take random exits off the interstate under the pretense of avoiding construction. After all, you never know where you'll find something cool and worthy of rescue.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/03/13/how-to-buy-a-derelict-project-car

Keep us posted on the AMX progress. I always thought they were neat looking cars.

• Jim

I could see myself leaving a note on the windshield of your Land Cruiser.

Is that a Dodge D-50 or a Plymouth Arrow pickup? I had a '79 Arrow pickup and I loved that thing! Bought it in Louisiana and drove it all over the southeast. I had a camper shell on it and put a plywood floor in and added a full size of foam on top and slept in it for camping.

So the guy with the 504 diesel: Tim, or Dave? Or did I miss something?

Back in the planning period for Denver’s new airport, the then Director of Aviation drove a 4-wd Javelin (model name?), in any case AMC and was amply fitted with airport construction, city, and aviation related radios. And 4wd or all wheel drive is needed here due to snow and construction site roads and muck. Said car was stolen, recovered, and I do not know if he returned it to official duty - my guess is the radios were gone. His private car was an AMX like shown in the above. My father’s work vehicles were 4dr Javelins years ago. I guess he like them.

One of the better articles on a website with great articles. Thanks for sharing.

Yes never tell someone the car they are selling isn’t worth what they are asking or infer it is a piece of junk. I always say. I’m sure its worth what you are asking but I just can’t afford to pay that. Most times they will say, Well what will you give me for it then ? And then we can strike a deal. If its junk I just say, nice car but not exactly what I was looking for and bid them farewell, Rudeness won’t get you anywhere. I’ve bought and sold a bunch of them. Its always been my hobby and more about the hunt than anything else. :grinning