Hagerty.com

How Toyota made the Supra super

Enthusiasts are cheering the imminent revival of the Toyota Supra, a beloved model last seen in the U.S. in 1998 (production for other markets ended in 2002). It will return on a platform shared with the BMW Z4, and spy photos reveal a car with wide front vents, a classic double-bubble roof, and a rear spoiler. The shape and styling are clearly grown from the seed of Toyota’s earlier FT-1 concept. Expectations are sky-high for this revival Supra, which has big shoes to fill after the legend of the the Mk IV Turbo model has grown.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/05/14/toyota-made-the-supra-super

As far as I am concerned, the 1979 Supra was the epitome of Japanese engineering. I bought a fully loaded Supra in '79 and it still runs like a top. No rust, great condition and still has all its parts and pieces. Not too many of them around but you can still cruise down the highway at 80mph all day long. I noticed in the article that the mag used the '81 as the photo model but it was just a tweak of the '79. The Supra even at it’s end was a great idea. I think it just priced itself out of the market.
JQ-Canada

It’s nice to see these cars finally ‘getting their due’. When the MKII came out in 1982 it was a starship. They’re not particularly fast (top speed) or quick (acceleration), but they’re extremely rewarding to drive.

BUT…watch out for rust! Early/late 1980’s Japanese cars had very little in the way of modern corrosion protection. I’ve seen Toyotas, Mazdas, and Datsuns that lived their entire lives in California, near the beach, and they had rust holes that would make a Midwestern car blush.

As one of the British magazines put it…“They tend to dissolve rather quickly”.