Hagerty.com

If Pagani built wood boats, they’d be called Van Dam

In the market for a hypercar with blow-you-away styling, state-of-the-art engineering, and unmatched attention to detail? Italian automotive artisan Horacio Pagani is the man to see. But if it’s the Pagani of wood boats that you desire, you’ll need to visit Van Dam Custom Boats in Boyne City, Michigan.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/08/14/if-pagani-built-wood-boats-theyd-be-called-van-dam

I love any type of classic motorized vehicle, some of mine include: '70 390 stick AMX, '51 Harley FL, '44 BSA M20, '63 Harley XLCH hardtail springer chopper, Lotus 7 replica and a ‘57 15’ Lonestar aluminum runabout upgraded with telescopic steering (you can keep those old cables), custom oak seating and cutdown windshield for looks but nothing seems to get my heart pounding like a finely crafted classic wood boat, it never fails. I’m not afraid to try any aspect of work limited to my equipment and skills and will build my own classic wood boat eventually after (or maybe while) finishing some of my current projects. But which one? Most likely a hydroplane or a dual cockpit runabout. Decisions, decisions…