Hagerty.com

In this world-class restoration shop, regular car guys get it done

The 1937 Alfa-Romeo 8C2900 Berlinetta owned by David and Ginny Sydorick is well on its way to becoming the most-awarded concours car of all time. It has won Pebble Beach. It has won Best of the Best in Paris. It scored a clean sweep of the awards at Villa d'Este Concorso d'Eleganza. It is gorgeous, and it is graceful, and it is (almost) invaluable, and its resurrection is clearly the work of master craftsmen.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/07/11/world-class-restoration-shop-regular-car-guys-get-it-done

I beg to differ with the author just on this one point of what makes good exceptional and that is elegance and a sense of art. It’s the difference between a photo and a painting, the painting evokes emotion.

Regular car guys??? First off, Hagerty could care less about regular car guys and secondly, I consider regular car guys as guys that do it from their garage, not the nicest shop in Vancouver.

@tahend - I am curious what makes you feel Hagerty does not care about some car enthusiasts?

Also, you are right. Regular car folks are the ones working on cars in their garage. That description fits this restoration shop, they just happen to be working on customer cars that go to events like Pebble Beach. At their core though, they are passionate about the automobile and keeping history alive–no different than those doing a restoration on a tight budget it a one car garage.

I am one of those regular car guys that work out of my garage. I have 3 projects that I am working on and none of them will ever see the big name events like Pebble Beach. I guess it is what you really want out of your car. I can make something look nice, enjoy it and take it to regular car shows and meet some great people. For someone wanting a car that goes to Pebble Beach I can see the advantage of taking it to a shop with all the special talent and resources. The guys working at the shop above I would consider regular car guys when they are working on the project in their 20 x 20 garage at home.

1 Like