Hagerty.com

Is $24,000 for a 19-year-old Honda Civic Si crazy?

Waltz into any Honda dealer with $25,000 in your checking account and you’ll be able to ink a deal for a new Civic Si. Now consider that twice this year, an auction on popular classifieds site Bring a Trailer yielded close to that same sum for a Civic Si that is nearly two decades old. These aren’t examples of rare, Japanese-market Type R models fresh from customs, they’re just extremely clean, unmodified, low-mileage examples–of which very few still exist.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/07/25/is-24k-for-a-19-year-old-honda-civic-si-crazy

Just because they have money doesn’t necessarily mean they have good judgement.

People vote with the wallets and the market decides value. These cars are really fun and redefined what consumers could expect from an inexpensive car. Well made, playful chassis, light, fantastic engine. When tuned, these cars can be real track weapons.

matthewdemarinis

August 2

People vote with the wallets and the market decides value. These cars are really fun and redefined what consumers could expect from an inexpensive car. Well made, playful chassis, light, fantastic engine. When tuned, these cars can be real track weapons.

Worth $24,000? No. Sorry it is still a Civic and just like Accords so damn many of them were made that I would never call them collectible other than maybe the first model year Accord and the first truly good Civic in 1980. Even then no more than a couple of thousand of dollars at most. Besides my five old American cars there are three Japanese cars between 1988-92 and together they are worth no more than $6000 and all are in excellent mechanical condition. I do like the Accords, Civics and 626s of that era but they are only $1000 cars in the end.

Wow. The point is really being missed here. No, it’s NOT “still a Civic”. The two Si examples represent VERY low mileage survivors that were excellent cars to start with. The 99-00 Civic Si may well have been the most fun to drive Japanese car you could buy when the model was introduced. And examples in this condition are truely extremely rare… I had one and loved it. Now I wouldn’t pay over 20K for one no matter how low the mileage but only because I’ve already enjoyed one from new and there are just too many other cars from too many eras out there that I would like to own for awhile at some point. But I have no problem with the fact that the market thinks these examples are worth what they sold for. And if you think these Si prices are crazy, check out auction results for low mileage Integra Type R’s.

Oh, and who said “good judgement” was the driving factor in most purchase decisions among those in our hoby?

It drives me nuts when people say something isn’t worth $X. You sound so unintelligent saying that. What something is worth is both based on facts and also on buyer emotion.

If a car is still being manufactured in the color you want for $20k AND it’s available for you to purchase then logically it’s not worth more than $20k. However, once it’s discontinued the price logically goes up over time as fewer of the examples are available for sale – either they’ve been crashed or people are holding onto them. As an extreme example, if all of the Civic SI’s except for one were magically destroyed logically we could say the value of that one shoots way up. How much? Well that all depends on if A. The seller can find someone who’s emotionally attached to it and B. If that small group of people has the budget to spend a great deal of money on it. You can disagree with me all you want on this statement, but it’s happening all around you. Dealers were marking up new Civic Type R’s like $10k over MSRP because they were in demand the supply was low, so for all intensive purposes they were worth the money.

So again, a blanket statement of “That’s not worth $X” is most certainly a dumb thing to say.