Hagerty.com

Is a tan in this 1970 Plymouth Hemi ‘Cuda convertible worth a 1000% premium?

In '72 my neighbor had a '71 Challenger R/T 340; I had a '72 Buick GS Stage 1 convertible. I outweighed him by 1000 lbs (3000 - 4100) but I had 390 lb ft of torque, and always beat him in our runs to work on a local street I shall not name. Sometimes on Friday’s he would beat me. I would be broke and forced to put 230 in the car instead of 260 until Friday payday…made a huge difference even in the (detuned from 1970) '72 Stage 1 engine. He said he did not buy a Hemi cause his dad did not want to cover the gas…260 was about 50 cents, I believe, back then, but new cars were 4-5K$, so it was all relative.

Good times, fun cars!

@bobsimpsons - I wasn’t able to find a source that confirmed the Hemi E-body cars were always equipped with the Dana 60 rear axle. Could you refer me to one so we can correct the article?

At the Kissimmee Mecum either 2018 or 2016 auction a restored 1970 copper colored in/out with a black convertible top 318cid sold for 38k. It was beautiful and the owner thought he stole it…….and I agree. Also, to “richopp”, I’m sure you now realize how rare your '72 Buick GS Stage I is…I found a '72 Barracuda%20in%20back%20yard triple black 4-speed in Palm Beach Florida in the early '80’s and did all I could to buy it. The then owner’s father bought it new and just couldn’t let it go. I often wonder where it is today. He was from Kentucky. Back to 'cuda’s, I will start the restoration of my 1970 Barracuda 383cid 4-speed hard top with 41k one owner miles in the next few years (in my retirement). It was a dream of mine to own a '70-'71 and I feel honored to own such a legend even though it’s in poor completely original stock condition.

Check with Mark Worman at Graveyard Cars. He will be able to tell you anything you need to know about any Mopar.

I’m sorry Bob, but you do not have your facts straight here. Any Hemi “E” Body 4spd came standard with a Dana rear. With an automatic car it would come standard with an 8-3/4, or you could choose the optional track pack and get the Dana rear. The only Cuda’s that came standard with a Dana in both automatic and 4spd. was the 1968 models that were subcontracted through Hurst. I hope this helps.

2 Likes

I’m gonna lean towards the author actually knowing what he’s talking about. He’s experienced and has authored several respected books on the subject of muscle cars.

2 Likes

I own a 68 Convertible Barracuda and it is the best driving car I own. I got what I think is a great deal on it a few years ago 14K

1 Like

At those prices, they are no longer Cars to be used as Cars.
They are investments in a full-scale model.
The short answer to the question is No.
But if someone is willing to pay that price, The Market shifts.
But it’s still ridiculous.

2 Likes

When I was in the market for my first car, I wanted the Hemi. But could not afford the insurance on my grocery store stocker’s wage. Plus my Dad would never had co-signed for it. So this 318 V02 Code is what I ended up with. 180K miles and still going strong.

3 Likes

That memory is a time warp in and of itself:
A grocery store stocker, paid enough to afford a (nice) new car, back before easy financing was the name of the game.
Wow.

At the end of the day, despite the rarity and such, you’re paying for paper. Yes, I said it, “paper”. The paper that says it was sold new by plaid-blazer-smooth-talker in Notyourburg, _____ as well as the paper that told Louie and Herman what parts to slap on it in Hamtramck, MI. With a right hand raised I could swear the ability to create this car right down to date coded radiator clamps and even NOS tires. The leading authority would not be able to distinguish it from the one with, wait for it, here it comes…“paper”. The cost would be far, Far, FAR less than the papered version. So that renders it down to why you want it. Do you want and can afford the prestige of the paper? Do want a muscle convertible with excess torque and percieved star power? Not many of those cars were quality controlled very well. I’ve had a few in my day and have earned the right to call them “A Hamtramck Dumpster” full of Big Block HP. I never owned a Hemi but drove enough to say I get it, but I don’t want it. For my seven figures I could own a J Duesy, a Packard 12 roadster, and maybe even a few early V8 Fords for fun, AND probably be able to insure them all for 10+ years with the change. Great Googly Moogly that’s some pricey paper, no?

1 Like

Well written! A most eloquent case of sour grapes attempting to spoil the impossible desires of so many - I will keep my dreams - thank you.

All ships rise with the tide. The more someone is willing to pay for the top dog the more attractive the 318 & 273 c.i. puppies and runt of the litter slant sixes become - and we can drive and enjoy them on cruises and weekends (and insure them; thanks Hagerty).

1 Like

I own a ‘70 Cuda Convertible with a numbers matching 383 and 727 auto tranny. I have not experienced the issues others have discussed with my car. I must say though that I am driving it sanely.

Is it worth it? Sure, why not. If something sells for a million, it was worth a million to someone, on that day. I’m not feeling it personally for that amount, compared to what I could buy instead, but that wasn’t the question. :wink:

Well my grapes are not in the least sour. I’ve had Hemis under foot. Also 2 different Ferrari Boxers, 3 different J Duesenberg models, countless Packards of many series including 2 Darrins and a 1 of 3 1006 Dietrich Sport Phaeton. Owned 2 383 Mopars, a 68 Road Runner and a 70 'Cuda, a 69 440 GTX and a 69 440 Charger. Non-mopes include a 68 GT 500KR, a 69 Boss 302, a 70 LS-5 Chevelle, 69 Vette with a 390 HP 427 4spd, 70 GTO, and a 72 Camaro SS with a 14:1 477 BBC that ran low 10s. My palette is anything but sour my friend. I live with 6 and 7 figure American Classics vicariously, live with a 39 Ford hot rod and a 65 GTO as my own. I don’t hunt, fish, bowl, play golf, go boating or play softball. I’m an opinionated car guy with a very broad and pragmatic brush. That same pragmatism realizes where the rubber meets the road and where the rest of it truly is. Dream big and don’t awake from it, but be sure to dream of and chase down what you like more than anything else. You’ll always win that way.

When I first got out of the Air Force I had a red 1970 'Cuda with a 340 that was built. What a car. not a convertible, but still very nice. Wish I had never sold it. I loved how just stomping the peddal made the tires spin. Only problem was in any bad weather it was hard to get moving off a light. Just wanted to sit and spin.

Don’t know about that, but I do know this. A buddy of mine and I test drove a 340 pistol grip 4 speed on a test drive… brand new. Phoenix… My buddy Rusty pulled out of the lot and got the car sideways. And… if that was not scary enough, waiting for us at the next green light was a red light center puncher that did a number on the little Cuda. We were a little banged up, but not banged up enough to go back and pick up another Cuda to bring home that afternoon. That was over 48 years ago. Time flies! Miss you Rusty… hope all is well where you are.

Back in the Golden years of muscle cars everyone knew convertibles were heavier than coupes and they were not for the hard core quarter milers. I remember tinted windows weighed a extra 20 lbs and were often deleted by hard core drag racers like me…

I remember being 17 years old watching a black over white hemi Challenger being off loaded in the evening at Crestview Chrysler in Regina Saskatchewan. I was aghast as the impatient carrier driver backed up too fast thus parking this brand new car on its driver’s side as it fell off the ramp. Broken glass, and caved in metal was a horrific sight to behold. The dealership’s receiver seemed disappointed but not as dismayed as one would expect. I knew the owner of the dealership who was a neighbor and friend of my dad and asked him if it was ever going to be repaired and put on the lot for sale. He said there was nothing that body filler and good insurance couldn’t fix, go figure?? What I wouldn’t give to have that same car today, even if it was exactly as viewed when planted sideways on the pavement back in 1971.