Hagerty.com

Is Fiat Chrysler working on an inline-six?

Do you like smooth, even power delivery and inherent balance in an engine? Fiat Chrysler is reportedly working on expanding its four-cylinder Global Medium Engine (GME) into an inline-six that could replace some current applications of the Pentastar V-6 (and maybe even some V-8s).

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/12/26/new-fca-inline-6

To say the least, it would be very interesting to see the in line six back in service again, but I’m wondering what if FCA were to revisit the slant six platform with some improved electronics? not necessarily go hog wild with over engineered fly-by-wire crap, just some more up-to-date electrics. And for God’s sake let’s start making some cars again, and not this SUV diseases that infest the highways and bi-ways. Seem like every person that drives one of them think they are driving a Ferrari! Sorry, guess I’m just old fashion.

As the Detroit 3 abandon the passenger car segment, where packaging is more critical, the performance and cost advantages of the inline configuration begin to outweigh the disadvantages. Transverse mounting of an I-6 for a modern, FWD-based passenger car layout imposes some huge compromises in aerodynamics, and front suspension geometry. The more generous proportions of light trucks and crossovers make it more feasible, plus AWD can be accomplished just as easily, or even moreso, with a traditional north-south crankshaft alignment.

I’m all for it!

I for one, wouid love to see the I6 back… I’ve always liked the way they “feel”… and they make wonderful noises. My first was in an '86 F150… the old skool 300 cu in Ford. A wonderful smooth and torqie lump… and as simple as they come.

I currently own three others… two triumphs… 2.0L in a GT6 and a 2.5L in a TR6. And then there is my Saab 9-7x (aka Trailblazer / Envoy) with the thoroughly modern, all aluminum 4.2L

Just love the layout… what can I say.

@jjwillett - I fall in the same camp of just liking the layout. Plugs or valvetrain are easy access right from the top so even if tightly packaged in the engine compartment service isn’t so bad. They are long though, making the popular modern traverse mounting a tough action.

From what I read about the new(er) Merc inline 6, the reason for the resurgence of these motors is because they are being based on inline 4s. So you save development cost and have many interchangeable pieces. Same difference like the old GM 3800 V6 which was small block based.