Hagerty.com

Is this horde of 55 VW buses a Canadian gold mine worth $350K?

We all know that Sammy Hagar can’t drive 55, and you aren’t expected to either. You can, however, own 55 Volkswagen Westfalias—if you have a lot of patience and a lot of cash.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/25/55-vw-buses-canadian-gold-mine

I saw this hit the Edge Browser/MSN home page a while back…

My thoughts kind of echo your own; but I did identify perhaps, the perfect buyer for this, if it really is a real thing…

Comedian Gabriel “Fluffy” Iglesias is a VW nut from way back, and already has a decent collection.

It works out to about $6603 per bus. A friend of mine from Mexico states that you can buy VW buses for way cheaper than that down there, but most of them are used as actual transport buses to move people back and forth from place to place.

Kyle

Stored outside in Ontario??? I guess one man’s restorable is another man’s money pit. the snow in winter, rain and high humidity in summer will lead to rust in every joint. looks like grass under the vehicles which will also lead to rusted floors and anything under the body. As long as the buyer realizes these issues then I wish them enjoyment in the process of bringing these back to life.

I bought a Corvair years ago from a guy in North Carolina that had about 50 to 60 of them scattered around his property.
He had a Quonset hut with about 10 of the good ones and then more scattered around town in two’s and three’s at his mother’s house etc.
He said that when Corvairs started to get a bad rep in the late 60’s people would just drive up and leave them on his property…
I drove it back to Toronto and then back to California and back.
It was then used as a picture vehicle in Kung Fu: The Legend Continues.

My buddy says it’s on FB and it’s a scam. Terms smell like a scam.
Hagerty should vet this story as it may be unwittingly aiding a scammer.

We’re both long time area VW/Porsche guys, started the local VW club and have never heard about this one. That many buses would be an old shop or a know horder and someone in our community would know about it.