Hagerty.com

It’s time to stop calling affordable classics entry-level

There are numerous terms to describe classic and collector vehicles. Classic and collector are two words worth of debate, even. And aspiration to great things is human nature. But let’s stop calling lower-priced collector cars “entry level.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/08/24/its-time-to-stop-calling-affordable-classics-entry-level

I bought my '69 Mustang convertible in 1998 for $3,500. It was straight but needed some love. I’ve owned the car for the last twenty years. I’ve modified the drive train but returned it to a fairly stock appearance. I’ve taken it to the drag strip on several occasions just to measure the performance improvements. We even took it on the road in 2009 from the S.F. Bay Area to the 45th Mustang Anniversary at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL. We put 5,200 miles on the car and were on the road for 21 days. The car has won over 30 awards in the twenty years I’ve owned it, including a best of show and a president’s choice award, and I believe it is probably worth at least $25,000 as it presently sits. This car has been the cheapest lifetime experience I have ever invested in. At its present value you may still consider it “entry level” but I assure you it is my personal gem. BTW, while owning this old Mustang I also owned a '69 numbers matching, low mileage Corvette 427/390hp coupe. A completely original and unmolested 4 speed car. It was nice to take to Corvette shows and generally won the C3 Stock class, but it wasn’t nearly as much fun to own as my pony convertible.