Hagerty.com

James Bond 1965 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $6.38M in Monterey

We knew the sale price of a verified 1965 Aston Martin DB5 Bond car was likely to exceed RM Sotheby’s pre-auction estimate of $4M-$6M, but frankly, we thought it would go much higher. As a result, we’re more stirred than shaken, but no matter how you slice it, $6.38M is one stiff drink.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/08/15/james-bond-1965-aston-martin-db5-sells-for-6m-dollars

OK, it’s official, THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD !

No offense intended, but I’m guessing you were born in 2000? :slightly_smiling_face:
But yes, I agree it seems the World has gone mad but for different reason.

Born in 1952 and that is how I know vehicle values and don’t feed me “todays money” BS, too much is just plain too much, end of story.

It is a matter of perspective. It obviously wasn’t too much to someone. It is more artwork and cultural significance than it is just a car. That’s why the price was what it was.

1 Like

Owww, now that’s just not right.; "Unlike Sean Connery, the car looks like it did during the filming the release of Thunderball. (BTW, that sentence doesn’t make much sense; “like it did during the filming the release of *Thunderball” Say what? Do you know how to proof read?).
I’ll bet you/Mr Hagerty Writer, that ol 007 himself, looks better at his age now, then you will at his age. And he’s got more Class then you’ll ever have.
Go wash your mouth out with soap and whip yourself with a handful of wet noodles!!!
Jeers
Boots Langley
La Mesa, Ca

Hello, Fellow Sufferers:
Surely if someone is sufficiently flush to blow so obscene a bundle on a Bond DB5, we should given thanks, as the price tends to lean positively on the market value of other Astons and contemporary British GTs & sports cars. Reflected glory is so comforting, sometimes.
BTW: hands up who knows what Sean Connery was actually driving on the street all those years ago? Yep: a Jensen CV8 Mark II. If only the producer had decided to save a few dollars and use Sean’s Plastic Pig instead!
Ray Whitley (Jensen CV8 II 104/2308. Definitely NOT the Connery car…)

1 Like

But we’re not really talking about “vehicle values” here… I fully agree, a 1965 DB5 is not worth that much money… we’re outside the normal values with this one.

Given that this movie car is exponentially better known than the Bullit GT, anyone care to adjust their estimate hat about it?

Now the new owner has to pay a huge insurance premium, store the car in a cool dry container, never drive it only around his huge estate, if he has one, and hide it out of sight from would be car thieves.
Can you imagine all the classic and Muscle cars you could buy with that kind of money.
Car belongs in a museum where all that are interested could enjoy.
Actually, they should have given the car to Sean for all the money that the film has brought in.
Roger should have got one also.

“Shocking. Positively shocking.” (Bond, after killing Oddjob.)

1 Like

Who is the chap that bought it?

Sorry, but that line was near the beginning of Goldfinger, when he electrocuted the attacker with a electric heater in the bathtub.

“He blew a fuse” was the line at Oddjob’s death.

Yup, that is correct :nerd_face:

It’s a little surprising the amount paid for a vehicle that was built for display at the New York Worlds Fair and later a promotion tour, rather than a picture vehicle built for and used only during production.

Of the two Goldfinger DB5s, Harry Yeaggy of Ohio owns the drive-by car, called the “road car”, and DP/216/, the hero car referred to as the “effects car”, is still missing after having been stolen in 1997 from the Boca Raton Airport.

It would be like buying Dorothy’s red shoes but Judy Garland having never worn them little lone ever having been used on camera. It’s simply just the first of what will apparently be several gimmicked up DB5s and shouldn’t be worthy of consideration as a movie prop.

1 Like

Pretty snarky chatter here. A car was sold and a car was bought. Not just any car, but a car with a pedigree. That pedigree means different things to different people. This buyer obviously valued it accordingly.
I felt it might command a higher price as well. Such is the auction game, whether it’s cars, horses, houses or knick knacks.
Beautiful car, lucky buyer and lucky seller. Congratulations!

The juxtaposition of the 007 Aston and the Bullitt Mustang points up the real competition here. It isn’t in the value of either car as cars, it boils down to a competition between who was cooler, Sean Connery or Steve McQueen in the mid-sixties? That’s what is going to drive the ultimate price for these automotive stand-ins for the cultural impact of what these actors had.

The comparison between the Bullitt Mustang and the replica Goldfinger DB5 gets to the point I was making about what is a movie prop and what is not. The mustang was a vehicle used on camera, when you watch Bullitt you are seeing the very same car, when you watch Goldfinger you are seeing another car not the one just sold which was built as a replica.

1 Like

I grew up in the 1960’s when Bond was pretty hot stuff. I thought the car went pretty cheap.

1 Like

Jay Leno wrote a good article in Hagerty Magazine a couple issues back - he basically said cars like this were valued highest when people still remembered the movies and actors first hand. In time, the infatuation fades and what is left is the inherent value of the vehicle without the providence. It will be interesting to see where the value of this one goes when those with memories of mid-60’s movies are no longer in the game.

1 Like